Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing valve cover gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing valve cover gaskets?

Well i have tried the search button and found no real results. I am trying to put the rubber o ring gaskets on the valve covers and they dont want to stay in. Do i use somekind of glue to do this? How have some of yall done this?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:26 AM

Are you reuseing the gaskets, or do you have new ones. When I first started messing with these engines a few years back I reused a set of gaskets a few times. It worked for a while, but eventually the gaskets got streched out and there was some overlap when I tried to put them back in the valve covers. If that's not the case and you are just having trouble keeping the gaskets valve covers...I would use a small amount of petroleum jelly to hold 'em in there when you reinstall the valve covers.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:27 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, they stretch out when they are inside the groove. Once you have had them off for just about any period of time past 45 seconds, they are gonna suck to stuff back in there. I have always just patiently pushed it back in and took my time. Never had a leak/problem.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, been there. As you are trying to get them in, you'll get like 96% of it in, push down the part that is raised up and another part of it will come up. What you do it push left or right while to the gasket is already in the groove to compress it down a little then push in the raised part. Sucked when I took mine out, but one I found out to push horizontal also, it was cool.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:43 AM
TECH Resident

I guess mine are too stretched out. This is the first time after the motor was put together that i am trying to reuse them. I have been trying to take my time and they just don't budge they keep popping out from the parts where they bend around the bolt holes.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:45 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, they all stretch. It is a pain, I had oil on mine the first time (naturally) and just wiped them down and they stayed in long enough to position on top of the head.