Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter Y and Flowmaster Merge question

Old 03-03-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Pacesetter Y and Flowmaster Merge question

In the quest to find the right exhaust solution I think I may have found the cheapest option... or so I think:

1. Keep the Pacesetter Y because it is the mac-daddy of ground clearance!

2. V-Clamp the header collectors on my pacesetters to eliminate any freakin leaks.

3. Have a local exhaust shop install a flowmaster merge (2x3" in and 4" out) into a cutout, and then a 4" to 3" reducer with a V clamp - connecting to my Hooker catback.

BIG QUESTION: Would a local exhaust shop be able to make decent bends to accomodate the changes needed to mate up to the flowmaster merge? I know that they would have no capability to mandrel bend (unless someone knows who can in montgomery, AL). If not then what degree of bends should I purchase to supply for the job?

Here are some Pics: Keep in mind that the pic of the Y pipe is upside down... the side with the support is the passenger side.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

FYI, a single 4" pipe is 11% smaller than 2x3" pipes, so it ought to flow pretty dang well with a cutout.

I checked out what summit had to offer as far as mandrel bends and I think that a shop ought to be able to hack out what bends they need from a 180 degree section of 3" pipe to make my pacesetter Y mate up to the flowmaster merge... All this so that I dont get crush-bent pipes feeding into my beast merge.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Actually I think this is exactly what I want to have done:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=4+cutout
Old 03-04-2008, 06:51 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:12 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That's PatG's old car, and that ypipe is the mac daddy. I think that the ARH ypipe is pretty good as well.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggested something similar to this to one of my buddies, jao2ws6, just a little lighter weight. Took his y-pipe and the aforementioned flowmaster merge, put it on and welded a 4'' bullet and turn down to it and bam! It's fairly loud but not bad. Flows great, weighs little, and cost effective. He likes it and always gets compliments. Long story short, a local muffler shop did it in less than an hour. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I think that the shop would have to hack up the Pacesetter Y so completely that they'd basically be using it to supply some pipe for fabbing up a custom Y. The pipe angles leading up to the bends going into the merge will be different, especially on the passenger side.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Thats the way it looked in the picture that was on the link I posted. I just really like the clearance that the pacesetter Y pipe offers due to its flat or oval spots. Tomorrow maybe I will call and find out if there is a place in Montgomery, AL that can mandrel bend, that way it won't be an issue on the bends.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I had an XS Y which is the same as Pacesetter and I thought about trying to have that done but concluded that it just wasn't feasible. So I had a custom Y built to go into a FM merge. If I could get my car up on lift, I take a pic to show you how they did the bends. Mine is a 2.5" Y though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pacesetter Y and Flowmaster Merge question