Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutout Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutout Question

I had a manual cutout on my LT1 and that was a PITA. I loved the way it sounded, but it was also connected to a 3 inch catback, so the cutout was three inches. I was thinking about doing an electric cutout on my current car since I don't have the money for headers or a catback for a while. What size would I need for a stock catback? Where did you guys mount yours? Also, an electric one from ws6store.com is 187.99, any clue how much installation would be? I plan on going longtubes and ORY down the road...would I be better off buying a used catback? I am just bothered by how quiet my LS1 is compared to when I had my LT1.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

3" cutout is what you need. I think most people put them in the i pipe towards the rear where the indention under the pass. seat is ( if thats makes any sense). If you have any mechanical ability whatsoever you can do the wiring/switch install yourself. Just have a muffler shop weld it in place, shouldn't charge more than $25.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

i have mechanical ability, but as far as wiring knowledge, none really. Closest I've come is helping install a head unit, and removing the subwoofers and amp from my old car...Would a used catback be a better bet for once I get longtubes, or would I be satisfied with LTs, ORY, and cutout with stock catback until I get a nice one?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:28 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A cutout is usually a better bang for your buck on a stockish setup.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

The car will be loud with LT's, ory, cutout closed, & stock catback. It will def. be louder with all those and the cutout open. Sound is subjective. You know what you like. Go to LS1sounds.com and see if you can find what sound you want and go from there.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

yea, i've been on LS1sounds.com for the past half hour. The cutout with stock manifolds and y-pipe doesn't sound bad at all. There are none there with gutted cats though. I am trying to keep the exhaust stock looking because the car is under warranty for 2 years, and I've only owned it for 3 days. Not quite ready to void that yet, haha...
Old 03-03-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

i just want the car louder, not sure if a catback or cutout is my best choice because down the road, the car will be getting cammed and most likely going to true duals...LTs and ORY will be on for a while before i switch over to ORX and true duals, thats why i am not sure if i should go catback or cutout...When i say down the road, I mean, the cam and duals will probably be in spring/summer 2009 or winter...so 1-1.5 years away...
Old 03-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

follow orangeapeels' advice go with a cutout, loud at the flip of a switch. The only drawback would be paying to have it welded in now, then taking it off when you replace stock catback, then paying to have it welded back on to new setup. Goodluck with whatever you choose!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by agrV8dta
The car will be loud with LT's, ory, cutout closed, & stock catback. It will def. be louder with all those and the cutout open. Sound is subjective. You know what you like. Go to LS1sounds.com and see if you can find what sound you want and go from there.
im running pacesetter lts and ory going into stock catback. the sound is ok, albeit a bit raspy up top. its loud but not too loud, and definitely noticeable.

incidentally, i also have a cutout on the i pipe of the catback. with it open its ungodly loud and the entire car vibrates and the center consoles shakes like a mother ******. i ran the lines through the gromet under the passenger rear and then under the console and wired it up to the tcs. works like a charm.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

3 inch will fit on the stock catback?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

bump for post #10
Old 03-04-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...950&highlight=

I wrote that writeup a little while ago.. just reply in it if you have any questions and want to tackle it on your own.

and no, I believe the stock y pipe is 2.75"(?) in that section you will put it in.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

ok, thanks man...
Old 03-04-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah stock exhaust is 2.75 so go with 3". If you do go electric go with DMH. They have the best cutout. It's a lil more I think just under 200 shipped but they have a warranty on their cutout and I know a lot of people who had QTP cutouts take a crap on them
Old 03-04-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transamws6_97
yeah stock exhaust is 2.75 so go with 3". If you do go electric go with DMH. They have the best cutout. It's a lil more I think just under 200 shipped but they have a warranty on their cutout and I know a lot of people who had QTP cutouts take a crap on them
I'm running a RaceReady right now and it seems to work great.. It's fast opening and closing and I've heard they're the best... Also it's so simple that if it breaks you can take it apart and build it back easy.. A guy once broke his in half, welded it back and fixed it and its still on his car.. haha
Old 03-04-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

sweet...thanks for the help guys...