Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FIPK intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FIPK intake

now i know that everyone is going to tell me that a lid is better...blah blah blah...thats not what i want to know...i will be buying the WS9 hood with heat extractors, and was looking into buying the k&n fipk, and i had heard rumors about it sucking in hot air. my question is, with the hood venting hot air out the back, would the intake really suck in that much hot air? since air will be flowing in the front and out the back of the hood?
Old 03-07-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car will be drawing air in through the nostrils and blowing straight onto the K&N. There will be no heat soak. I could see some issues if you had a closed off hood like that of a firebird or camaro. Ive had both setups (lid & fipk). I think theres little difference in power between the two because niether have a restriction but the fipk fits together better and looks better imo.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:11 PM
10 Second Club

myself, i noticed quite a difference swapping my SLP lid for the FIPK. With the ram air hood, i would think it would work even better. I dont know why people bash the k&n, other than its expensive as hell... i had good results with it though.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had a lid then went fipk then lid again . i noticed a difference when going to the fipk in sound like it was breathing better . the power was not really seat of the pants but for sure was not slower .
i went back to a lid here recently just due to a custom cold intake i am running . with the fipk it has more area to breathe . now i ahve a custum intake the air is coming without a doubt fresh and more than the fipk could . still have not turned in any times with it yet but will post up when i put some miles on it .
the fipk does look cool and is just as good as a lid . cant go wrong either way man .
good luck !
Old 03-08-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

well, i just put in my order for a set of pacesetter lt's and the fipk kit so we will see! i think i will like it, and i love the look of it!
Old 03-08-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

It does look like a pretty good working intake. But i bought the SLP Lid since it was cheap, and does the job perfectly fine. If i were ever to change my lid it would probably be to a Volant set-up.
-Joel
Old 03-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Teching In

if i already have the slp lid, would it be stupid for me to get a K&N FIPK, or will it not be worth it, or would the volant be the best, the reason i am asking is because i have the professional products 96mm intake with a nick williams 90mm tb and i want to take full advantage of them, plus the ms3 cam i am putting in on saturday so what do all you guys think
Old 03-14-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1scamaro
if i already have the slp lid, would it be stupid for me to get a K&N FIPK, or will it not be worth it, or would the volant be the best, the reason i am asking is because i have the professional products 96mm intake with a nick williams 90mm tb and i want to take full advantage of them, plus the ms3 cam i am putting in on saturday so what do all you guys think
by what i hear and people on here have told me is that the fipk isnt worth the money, id say your lid will do fine with the mod's your putting on it. my friend has a ms4 cam with a 90mm tb and he has the slp lid with k&n filter and his car runs just fine, plus i here that on camaro's the fipk will pull in alot of heat where the hood is closed off unlike the ram air on the ws6
Old 03-14-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

No matter what you go with be it a lid or volant or fipk you will not notice any difference in power. Basically the only place you would be able to see any difference if any would be if you strapped your car to a dyno and did runs with each one. Do what you think is cost effective. Or rather what looks better. And imo the fipk doesnt pull as much hot air as people think. I have one on my camaro and my intake stays cool to the touch, however as with all cars if im sitting in traffic or in the line waiting to stage it will get hot.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Well if your worried about flow check out the Fast Toys Performance 85mm Intake Lid. Not that much more than the SLP Lid, and I believe TSP just came out with their 100mm MAF so flow wont be a problem.
http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...oducts_id=1456
-Joel