Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie up rearend to install under axle true duals

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tie up rearend to install under axle true duals

I read a while back that when installing the true dual under axle tail pipes that if the car is on a 4 post lift then to tie up the rearend so it can't drop down as much when the car is off the ground. Doing this allows the tail pipes to be placed up higher. But wouldn't this way make the pipes hit the rearend while lifting the car off the ground?
Anyway I heard you only have to do this when using the post lift. Do we really have to do this or can we just put the pipes against the axle? I figured when the car was back down on the ground then the weight would make the axle move back up away from the pipes
Old 03-09-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

Yes they would hit the exhaust in the future when using that style lift again. But you need to understand that a rear is extremely low when using that style lift and if you place the exhaust in position based on a rear that is fully extended it will be a lot lower than that you want when the car is down on all fours. Most exhaust shops have the style lifts that you drive up on for just that reason. It gives a realistic position of the suspension components when installing an exhaust.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

They don't have a drive on lift so I'll just tie the axle up before I lift it.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what do you plan to do when you need to lift your car again? what do you think's going to happen if the rear suspension gets unloaded somehow?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DBL_TKE
So what do you plan to do when you need to lift your car again? what do you think's going to happen if the rear suspension gets unloaded somehow?
Well I'm guessing the axle will rest on the pipes. I don't see how that will hurt. Many people have done it this way