Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric cutout with Borla Adj.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Electric cutout with Borla Adj.

I'm getting an adj. borla catback. It doesn't have any of the plates with it and being a h/c car with no cats I thought it might be to much. Anyone running a cutout instead of a plate? Any pics and how do you like it? Also what brand of cutout? Thanks
Old 03-10-2008, 09:41 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a QTEC for about 3-4 years now, works great. I don't have any pics, you're not going to see it on the car unless you crawl under it.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My best bud has it with a 420 hp cam only Camaro with no extra ground effects, you can see it from the back when your driving it. its a bit loud. He used to love it that way, even though he is in a position not to be hassled by cops, he is getting a bit tired so he just has it closed and opens it when he races.

Whats nice is since its electric, he just doest it from the driver seat.

I had one on my Camaro but it was in a regular cut out and it was located before the axle hump and it was DEFINITLY loud when open.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

I have been running a QTP cutout instead of plates for about 2 years or so. Works fantastic. Like Craig says, you wont see it unless you crawl under the car.

I ran the wiring under the carpet, into the center console, and mounted the switch in the ashtray. Pretty clean install and straight forward.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

Qtp Ftmfw!
Old 03-10-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Qtech in my borla too, no problems so far.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:03 AM
12 Second Club

Well sounds like everyone likes it so far. Not to **** anyone off or anything but I was told the qtp ecutouts were junk. I was told that I could go with one of them but would probably have to change fairly soon. I was recomended dmh and they have a 4 year warranty. Have you guys had any problems with yours. There pretty pricey and i'd be pissed if it went out a month later. Have you guys heard anything good or bad about them. Any pros or cons of either brand. Thanks
Old 03-11-2008, 08:16 AM

QTP is NOT junk by anymeans, whoever told you that is wrong and/or biased.

Like I said already before here in this thread and I'll say it again, mine works great and has lasted 3-4 years or so. And all of the other replies here say their QTP QTEC has been great to them as well.

I don't have any experience with DMH so I can't say anything bad or good about them. There is/was another brand, McCord. Their 1st gen models sucked ***** and had plastic gears that would break often. They fixed that issue on the 2nd gen models but I don't even know if they're still around anymore.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Junk?? OK...My QTP cutout is the best pice of "junk" that I have installed on my car, then.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:21 AM
12 Second Club

I wasn't trying to offend anyone I was just relaying what was said to me. Thanks for the replys. I looked on ls1sounds but most of the borla catback clips had poor sound quality and were distorted. Do any of you guys have sound clips of your car with the cutout in place.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kkslds
Well sounds like everyone likes it so far. Not to **** anyone off or anything but I was told the qtp ecutouts were junk. I was told that I could go with one of them but would probably have to change fairly soon. I was recomended dmh and they have a 4 year warranty. Have you guys had any problems with yours. There pretty pricey and i'd be pissed if it went out a month later. Have you guys heard anything good or bad about them. Any pros or cons of either brand. Thanks
We have over 25,000 units out there now. Every year we sell more and more. We do have some problems with some units but most are from installing them wrong where they hit the ground or hit the floor board. And people dont mention that when they say there unit stopped working. GM uses our cutouts all the time on special project like the 1957 Chevy Project X. Notice the exhaust coming out the fenders. It our units. Also the late Boyd Coddington used all cutouts on every car he built. Thats just to name a few. If you have any questions feel free to call us.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:33 AM

...I looked on ls1sounds but most of the borla catback clips had poor sound quality and were distorted. Do any of you guys have sound clips of your car with the cutout in place.
Sorry buddy I don't have any sounds clips/vids of mine. Plus my car with the Borla/QTEC is my T/A. Which it has stock headers, cats, y-pipe. You would probably will not hear much of a change of sounds (open/close) in a vid.

Talk to Barry at QTP, or really anybody, they are badass to deal with.

Peace,
Craig.

BTW - Come to think of this, but I don't think any other brand makes a model like QTEC to work INSIDE the Borla.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

quicktime.. What is the best warranty you can put on one of your cutouts? From the sounds of it it's a quality peice. Does yours have a 4 year warranty also? If so i'll order right now. Thanks
Old 03-11-2008, 09:04 AM

Thumbs up

quicktime.. What is the best warranty you can put on one of your cutouts? From the sounds of it it's a quality peice. Does yours have a 4 year warranty also? If so i'll order right now. Thanks
He might not pop back into this thread, so you should probably just pick up the phone and call him. (201)444-0993

I looked on their web site but could not find what the warranty is, I never had to worry about it! lol

Peace,
Craig.