Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Start...

Old 03-10-2008, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No Start...

Ok, I'm hoping some of you guys can help me out so...here we go.

Just completed Head and cam install on my 02 TA. After it was all done, I went to start the car and nothing. All the electronics came on, but the motor wont crank. I mean, it wont even try. So, these are the steps I took with no luck...

-Checked the ground wires to the driver side head. Ok.

-Checked both starter and ignition relay. I swapped them and even replaced them with new ones. Still nothing.

-Pulled the starter (which worked fine before the install) and took it to be tested just to be sure. It checked out good.

-Put the battery on the charger. Still nothing.

-Checked to see if it was the Vats, but no security light was blinking.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I am at a total loss. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the clutch/neutral safety switch.

-J
Old 03-10-2008, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Check the clutch/neutral safety switch.

-J
I did...It's plugged in and worked fine before the install.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can you turn it over by hand (socket on the front balancer bolt) to make sure nothing is binding.

I would unbolt the starter, leave the wires connected to it but prop/tie it up so it doesn't pull in the wires. Does the starter turn over when not driving the flywheel?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by massls1guy
Can you turn it over by hand (socket on the front balancer bolt) to make sure nothing is binding.

I would unbolt the starter, leave the wires connected to it but prop/tie it up so it doesn't pull in the wires. Does the starter turn over when not driving the flywheel?
The engine does turn over by hand. It seems as if the starter is not getting any juice from the eletrical system.

The only other possibility is something happened when I swapped out the shift cable from the shifter to the trans. The old one was damaged accidentally during a converter install. Replacing it was straight forward and the adjustment was simple, so I can't see why there would be a problem.

This is driving me crazy....
Old 03-10-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

did you check the igniton swith? also did you check to see if any of the wires may have got pinched during the install?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a wire from the starter once touching my header and the car would not start . i took a long flathead and moved the wire a bit , saw a spark and it worked .
Old 03-11-2008, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thebart455
did you check the igniton swith? also did you check to see if any of the wires may have got pinched during the install?
I didn't check the ignition switch because it worked fine before the install. I don't think thats the issue.There has got to be something that I'm overlooking. I did a search for similar problems and came up with some good possible solutions. I tried them and none of them worked. I know its right in front of my face but I'm just not seeing it.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

disconnect your shift cable and push the shift arm on the transmission all the way (forward?) to put it in Park, then try again. if it works, your cable is not adjusted properly.

jump the starter from the battery directly and see if it starts
Old 03-11-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SINISTER-TA
I didn't check the ignition switch because it worked fine before the install. I don't think thats the issue.There has got to be something that I'm overlooking. I did a search for similar problems and came up with some good possible solutions. I tried them and none of them worked. I know its right in front of my face but I'm just not seeing it.
My ign switch gave ZERO prior warning on my LT1 when it went. Went to class, 2hrs later, no start. Nothing.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by magius231
disconnect your shift cable and push the shift arm on the transmission all the way (forward?) to put it in Park, then try again. if it works, your cable is not adjusted properly.

jump the starter from the battery directly and see if it starts
Yeah, I did this yesterday with no luck. I also just jumped the nuetral saftey switch with no luck either. I did get the car started by jumping the car at the relay box so everything from that point to the starter is good. I know it's not vats because the car will stay running after it's started.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lastcall190
My ign switch gave ZERO prior warning on my LT1 when it went. Went to class, 2hrs later, no start. Nothing.
I'm starting to think it might be a possibility but just not yet convinced but you might be right.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

my cousins went out on his 95 z with no warning he drove it to work and then when he went to go home he said everything worked but when he his the swith nuttin
Old 03-13-2008, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Problem fixed...bad connection at the Nuetral saftey switch. Thanks to all that chimed in to help out.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Good ****, figured it would be something simple. Sucks though that it was after such an undertaking like heads/cam

-J

Search this Thread