Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on an exhaust overhall package... Please help me...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:23 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need advice on an exhaust overhall package... Please help me...

Basically the guy I bought my 02 Trans Am WS6 from replaced the stock exhaust system with one that isn't street legal. I took it to the dealership today and they showed me that it has only 2 02 sensors when there should be 4. it has no "air injection system" supposedly for adding air to the the exhaust, for whatever reason, i'd never heard of it. and lastly the headers are for off road use and wouldn't allow the parts i mentioned to be replaced. which leads me to my question.

I need to buy a new exhaust kit that comes with everything i'm missing, has to pass emissions in virginia, and i'd like to keep my power up. slp has packages i was looking at but they say they're off road use only... however they still come with cats... i don't understand that but i'm not the most mechanically minded. anyway, any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live right over the bridge from you in MD. I have passed emissions with my set up. I wanted all stainless for the durability and look of it. I've got the dynatech supermaxx headers, y-pipe with high flow cats package and magnaflow cat back. Great flow, looks great, nice deep muscle car sound to it, no rasp and no drone inside the car. Sounds awsome at WOT...
Old 03-12-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 I was JUST going to suggest looking at the Supermaxx system, comes with damn near everything you need (in fact maybe it does, I am not even 100% sure). You could sell the **** that's already on the car and offset some of the cost too.

-J
Old 03-12-2008, 08:51 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Longtubes are "illegal" in all 50 states and are considered "off-road" because the movement of factory placed catalytics is considered an emissions violation. Just be aware of that.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mikes02Z28
I live right over the bridge from you in MD. I have passed emissions with my set up. I wanted all stainless for the durability and look of it. I've got the dynatech supermaxx headers, y-pipe with high flow cats package and magnaflow cat back. Great flow, looks great, nice deep muscle car sound to it, no rasp and no drone inside the car. Sounds awesome at WOT...
VA has stricter laws on emissions than MD does, I bought this car from a guy in MD which is why I'm having the issues I am now...

anyway, so I may take the advice on the dynatech system, would this be legal?

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...0A2186556.aspx
Old 03-12-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

what exhaust is on the car currently?
Old 03-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Like was stated already in all 50 states long tube headers are illegal. But so is altering your cats to high flow or deleting them. In VA do ya'll have the OBDII for emissions. I think thats what its called. Or do they still hook up the vent to the exaust tip and check it that way. Also how strict are they at looking under the car and checking out your setup. In Md they just plug in under your steering column into the computer and 5 seconds your done. I've never had a problem here.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Longtubes are "illegal" in all 50 states and are considered "off-road" because the movement of factory placed catalytics is considered an emissions violation. Just be aware of that.
He's technically correct but most places don't know/overlook if your still running cats,02's and correct emmissions for your year vehicle.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Launching!

the car currently has a set of off-road pacesetter headers which would have to be chopped up and modified to pass emissions.

they only check the OBD-II, but i only have 2 02 sensors and no air injection system, so the check engine light is still on, which means automatic failure.

i'm looking at this right now:

if any if you own this, does it have bungs for all 4 02 sensors? and does it come with exhaust tips? and lastly, does it come ready to plug in the air injection system?

Last edited by TallgeeseIV; 03-12-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

My friend passed the OBD2 plug in test here in NJ with just oxygen sensors, I wouldn't worry about that. No AIR and an SES light is a problem, with the latter being an auto-failure. Check the codes, fix the light, and you could probably pass.

-J

EDIT: that picture in the link is NOT the f-body system, I would guess it's the vette. I don't think it has spots for the rear 02 sensors. And what exactly do you mean by ready to plug in the air injection system? If you mean does it have tubes for the AIR system? Yes, I believe it does.

Last edited by lastcall190; 03-12-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Launching!

i don't know, i'd never even heard of this air injection system until yesterday when they told me the previous owner removed it...

anyway, they said they can drill a hole and bung it to add the extra 02 sensors, can anyone confirm it has the air injection equipment..?
Old 03-12-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

AIR injection equipment comes with the car, NOT the headers. AIR hookups ON the headers, as far as I know, they are on the supermaxx system. AIR throws, well, air back into the exhaust to heat up the cats. Judging by the fact that the headers are race headers, I'd imagine he ripped the AIR system clean off the car. Got any engine bay pics?

You can add the rear 02s, but they might not work as effectively as the stock rear 02s. My friend has rear 02 sensors on his Kooks system on an '06 Goat and he still gets codes for the rear 02s, even WITH catalytic converters. Just an FYI that even with rear 02s it might not be fool proof.

-J
Old 03-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

The bottom line is do you want it to pass on the first try or half *** it and take a chance on failing and then having to dump more money inot the exaust. Give us some ideas on what your looking to spend, how soon your emissions has to be done by, what your plans with the car for the future are(mod wise/ expectations). Give us a little more info so we can be sure to push you in the right direction so your not having to deal with this twice...
Old 03-12-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TallgeeseIV
the car currently has a set of off-road pacesetter headers which would have to be chopped up and modified to pass emissions.

they only check the OBD-II, but i only have 2 02 sensors and no air injection system, so the check engine light is still on, which means automatic failure.

i'm looking at this right now:

if any if you own this, does it have bungs for all 4 02 sensors? and does it come with exhaust tips? and lastly, does it come ready to plug in the air injection system?
If you really want Dynatech's you can get them for a good price from New Era (sponsor): http://www.neweraperformanceparts.co...KV=dynatechf|0

I know you can pass the OBDII test without rear O2s, you just need Efilive or equivalent to shut it off in the flash. Go to a good LSx dyno tuner in your area and talk to them about it. All the rear O2s do is tell you if the cats are working or not, your engine will run perfectly without them. I believe they can shut off the AIR test as well.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Launching!

well, essentially this car is my only vehicle, it must be street legal, and i'd like as much performance as possible while still being street legal and passing emissions every time.

i know the air injection box won't come with the headers, the shop is going to rebuild that, they told me to make sure whatever headers i buy have a connection for it.

the shop is telling me the rear 02's are required to pass emissions and i have no idea where to find an lsx tuning facility around here, not even sure we have places that do it.

thank you for the link, i'll definitely order it from them if i decide to.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Launching!

I'll help the OP by clarifying his predicament: VA not only has emissions testing but a yearly safety inspection. So, while he may pass emissions testing, he'll probably fail the visual inspection.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Launching!

AHHH, YES! i totally forgot, that's why i need the air injection system. although the long tube headers are fine they said... dunno why. but they're doing the safety inspection themselves so it doesn't matter.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is the list of east coast tuner sponsors:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/removed-locked-thread-graveyard/732621-eastern-lsx-tuning-sponsors.html

I suggest calling a tuner near you, I'll bet they have some experience about building cars and still passing emissions in your area. You could also post your question in the regional 'Eastern members' room to get more feedback from VA members who have dealt with this.

To know if you will pass/fail emissions get something like an Actron CP9125 PocketScan Diagnostic Code Reader:
http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9125-.../dp/B0007LEG2K

The code reader gives you error codes but also tells you if you will pass or fail the OBDII emissions tests, good thing to have.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

Pm Sent
Old 03-12-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TallgeeseIV
Yes,
No,
Yes (if you order the correct model)

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/after...odyinstall.pdf
Installation instructions for 02 year.