Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI vs LID

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI vs LID

well i see alot of people say they are running lids well i was wonder what the difference is between a lid and a regular k&n intake system. i was lookin to buy an intake but i see most people running lids. is there some advantage to them other then the price?
Old 03-18-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A lid and free ram air kit, SSRA FTRA and other are the way to go for the best gains be careful with the KN not to over oil it as it will gunk up your maf.

But dont take my word for it if you try a serch you can see that this topic has been brought up 100000000000 x's
Old 03-18-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

cai= a straw for puddles in the rain imho. lids and cai have damn near the same gains.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

Do a lid...Its cheaper and will net the same gains as a K&N. But if you like K&N's look and want something thats cool as hell look for the Volant intakes.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLACK2001SS
A lid and free ram air kit, SSRA FTRA and other are the way to go for the best gains be careful with the KN not to over oil it as it will gunk up your maf.

But dont take my word for it if you try a serch you can see that this topic has been brought up 100000000000 x's
well...if you include this thread that would be 100000000001!

anyway, go with a lid and FTRA (or SSRA), best gains available
Old 03-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Teching In

well not to sound like a newbie or anything but what is FTRA or SSRA???
Old 03-18-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

FTRA - fast toys ram air SSRA - super sucker ram air
Old 03-19-2008, 04:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo
cai= a straw for puddles in the rain imho. lids and cai have damn near the same gains.
...See thats why I love the fact that I have a WS.6. I made my hood functional and I don't ever have to worry about going through large puddles or gravel and road salt get'n in there from the path thats made by the CAI mod to the air box.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, you guys drive your cars in the rain???!!!! I'll admit I've been caught a few times, but I just get careful and watch out for puddles. I have the SLP lid and SLP Cold-air. Works well for me. If your car is a daily driver and is in the rain on a regular basis, you may want to stay away from the cold-air setup. Water in your engine probably isn't worth the extra couple horsepower up top.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone have the Volant intake set up? It sure looks awsome!

Whats the deal with the fast toys JAAM systems for the WS6, is it worth the 200 bucks?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Teching In

yea i was wondering about the volant intake also i love the dual cone design
Old 03-19-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah i searched it and it sure looks cool. Some guy even reported gains over an aftermarket lid....? Im not sure how much it would dyno over stock but it sure looks cool. The only thing that isnt cool is the 250 bucks to buy one!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

my ram air hood sucks air great and pressures my intake air to 10 psi, just like a blower would. SSs are God. lol........do the lid and be through.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

Just get a lid bud
Old 03-19-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
Just get a lid bud
yea the lid will do you just fine
Old 03-19-2008, 10:40 PM
FormerVendor

Definitely stick with a lid and FTRA over a K&N FIPK system. The K&N system is just breathing hot underhood air which = less HP. Every 10 degree F you drop the intake temp is about 1 % more HP on a normally aspirate application. You can imagine how hot it can get under the hood and do the math yourself.

If you have a WS6 car, we do sell the JAAM kit to seal the hood to the intake and make it functional. For all the other models of car, the FTRA will work great.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:23 AM
Teching In

so seeing as i do have a ram air hood would u recommend the JAAM kit. or FTRA???
Old 03-20-2008, 11:06 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 02yellowls1
so seeing as i do have a ram air hood would u recommend the JAAM kit. or FTRA???
If you want the hood to actually be function and provide some cool factor on top of that, go with the JAAM kit.

If you don't care about the hood and want slightly better performance over the JAAM kit, go with the FTRA.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Haha, you guys drive your cars in the rain???!!!! I'll admit I've been caught a few times, but I just get careful and watch out for puddles. I have the SLP lid and SLP Cold-air. Works well for me. If your car is a daily driver and is in the rain on a regular basis, you may want to stay away from the cold-air setup. Water in your engine probably isn't worth the extra couple horsepower up top.
It really isnt that bad. I've been DD'ing my car for three years now in Northern California, and the rain can get pretty bad. I constantly have to drive on the freeway in storms, I've hit some pretty big puddles with my car at speeds from 20-65mph, and my FTRA + Lid combo has never sucked up any water.

The whole "straw" effect is a misnomer. You'd hafta run into a puddle large enough to completely submerge the air dam and FTRA inlet. hitting a puddle that big would dramamtically cause you to slow down, and you would instantly lose the vacuum effect. You cant drive (or at least shouldn't be driving) your car fast enough for water to A) jump 2 or more feet vertically and then B) completely saturate the filter and THEN C) turn 90* and shove itself through the MAF screen, bellows, and TB into your intake. And if you are driving fast enough for that to happen, driving that fast into a puddle large enough to cause that to happen is the very, very least of your issues; especially if there's any traffic or curbs or obstacles around you.

-And as for dirt/rocks. That's what a filter is for. I cant say that i've had anything fly past my filter.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:42 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Mystic 98 TA
It really isnt that bad. I've been DD'ing my car for three years now in Northern California, and the rain can get pretty bad. I constantly have to drive on the freeway in storms, I've hit some pretty big puddles with my car at speeds from 20-65mph, and my FTRA + Lid combo has never sucked up any water.

The whole "straw" effect is a misnomer. You'd hafta run into a puddle large enough to completely submerge the air dam and FTRA inlet. hitting a puddle that big would dramamtically cause you to slow down, and you would instantly lose the vacuum effect. You cant drive (or at least shouldn't be driving) your car fast enough for water to A) jump 2 or more feet vertically and then B) completely saturate the filter and THEN C) turn 90* and shove itself through the MAF screen, bellows, and TB into your intake. And if you are driving fast enough for that to happen, driving that fast into a puddle large enough to cause that to happen is the very, very least of your issues; especially if there's any traffic or curbs or obstacles around you.

-And as for dirt/rocks. That's what a filter is for. I cant say that i've had anything fly past my filter.

Great summary! It takes a rare set of circumstances for your motor to be damaged and a VERY deep puddle that would immerse the bottom of the kid. Keep in mind that ONLY our kit also includes a block off plate that you can put on to disable the kit if you think you will be driving in some horrible storm. With the block off plate installed, water cannot come up through the duct and your car breathes exactly the same as stock.