Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric water pumps

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Electric water pumps

Well I just got a 402 from Texas speed and I dont think it comes with a new water pump and I was thinking of getting an Electric water pump

I wanna know a few things

what is the best one out there? best as in for a 500whp engine, maybe more in teh future. daily driver, will see soem long track days sometimes and some dragstrip time as well... But mainly a streetable daily driver it is..

how much HP will this free up? and I have a underdrive pulley, so will this make it operate easier, since less load for the belt to turn?

Lastly, what size belt do I need with a 25% underdrive pulley, AC, stock alternator..
Old 03-18-2008, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

ehh and since Im doing a nw 402, Imight as well go with an alternator too I guess??
Old 03-18-2008, 06:04 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Strange, but I think there is only 1 brand. Maybe 2 for our cars. Search? Meziere?

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28

Lastly, what size belt do I need with a 25% underdrive pulley, AC, stock alternator..
Depends on whose pulley you are running.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I know when patrick g did his 500 rwhp build i remember him writing the electric water pump showed no difference. I could be wrong though.

In theory, it should free up some hp because of less rotating mass.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:13 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really they are good for the staging lanes. Nice to have your circulation without having the engine running and just getting hot. There really is no other reason to get one other than you can turn it on when you want to. I would just stick with a stocker and pocket several hundred.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Really they are good for the staging lanes. Nice to have your circulation without having the engine running and just getting hot. There really is no other reason to get one other than you can turn it on when you want to. I would just stick with a stocker and pocket several hundred.
Good summary. Also, from what I have heard, EWP's circulate less water at higher speeds.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
well for the first part I have a powerbond 25% u/d pulley

and secondly, I wanted to go with a race battery a few months back, but Im guessing this will eat up some of the juice when I run it. So I shouldnt go too light on my next battery

in that case, should I go with a brand new stocker? I might as well since Im going with a brand new 402 shorblock. I doubt it comes with one and I might as well get a new thermostat. well my LS1 has 90+k on it and the water pump is still the original, so I should go with a new...

where can I get one? a sponsor here or would a local auto parts store have one.. I doubt it, they have nothing nowadays
Old 03-19-2008, 02:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, you'll free up SOME power due to parasitic drag, but how much power could a water pump possibly consume? The Meziere is a quality unit, but the cheapest I've seen one sell for is over $500.00! I don't know, but I think five C-Notes would be better spent elsewhere. I've owned three 4th Gen F-Bodies (all Trans Ams); two LS1's, and one LT1....I had no cooling issues whatsoever with the LS1 cars.....the LT1 was a different story.

If my LS1 Trans Am ever gives me cooling problems, I'd look at a GOOD aluminum radiator before I'd cough up 5 bills for a pump. But that's just me.............
Old 03-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

in that case, should I go with a brand new stocker? I might as well since Im going with a brand new 402 shorblock. I doubt it comes with one and I might as well get a new thermostat. well my LS1 has 90+k on it and the water pump is still the original, so I should go with a new...

where can I get one? a sponsor here or would a local auto parts store have one.. I doubt it, they have nothing nowadays
Your best bet might be a rebuilt stocker. I have heard that unused stockers which have been sitting on the shelf for x amount of years tend to have more issues than a rebuilt one. It might even be cheaper. Just something to think about
Old 03-19-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an electric water pump on a 96Z...much different in that you used the stock waterpump housing and the electric unit was dirt cheap. I know it flowed something like 40 gallons per minute ALL THE TIME... where the stock one would flow 26GPM at 6500RPM. So they flow consistantly all the time, no matter the RPM.
I could easily get 30mpg in that M6 car on the highway with 4.10s, BBK shorties, UDP, FIPK, and a Borla Adj. Catback.

I would love to do one again, but not for that kind of money. If no one bought them then maybe they would come off their price a few hundred dollars.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Meziere EWP. Not sure how much power it made but it did help with gas mileage and cooling the motor after each run at the track. I'd get it.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have seen 10whp from the electric pump @ same operating temp on the dyno
Old 03-19-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

At the end of the day its still a $650 water pump though... I could think of better places to spend that kind of money!
Old 03-19-2008, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
I had an electric water pump on a 96Z...much different in that you used the stock waterpump housing and the electric unit was dirt cheap. I know it flowed something like 40 gallons per minute ALL THE TIME... where the stock one would flow 26GPM at 6500RPM. So they flow consistantly all the time, no matter the RPM.
I could easily get 30mpg in that M6 car on the highway with 4.10s, BBK shorties, UDP, FIPK, and a Borla Adj. Catback.

I would love to do one again, but not for that kind of money. If no one bought them then maybe they would come off their price a few hundred dollars.
thats a pretty high MPG number, with a "heavier" LT1 and 4.10s.. Im impressed.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by badpanda
Your best bet might be a rebuilt stocker. I have heard that unused stockers which have been sitting on the shelf for x amount of years tend to have more issues than a rebuilt one. It might even be cheaper. Just something to think about
is there any companies that sell rebuilt stockers , with or without a core charge?
Old 03-19-2008, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bichin95redta
Yeah, you'll free up SOME power due to parasitic drag, but how much power could a water pump possibly consume? The Meziere is a quality unit, but the cheapest I've seen one sell for is over $500.00! I don't know, but I think five C-Notes would be better spent elsewhere. I've owned three 4th Gen F-Bodies (all Trans Ams); two LS1's, and one LT1....I had no cooling issues whatsoever with the LS1 cars.....the LT1 was a different story.

If my LS1 Trans Am ever gives me cooling problems, I'd look at a GOOD aluminum radiator before I'd cough up 5 bills for a pump. But that's just me.............
Yeah I se what your saying. Well then I know the stock radiators also are pretty damn good..

Maybe I will reuse my old radiator , but Im unsure if I wanna reuse my old water pump. Id get a rebuilt one or something.. I have to check my LS2 block first, I dunno if they came with one... chances are they didnt though....

should I do something to clean out my old radiator is there a procedure?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Edelbrock makes a very high quality pump. That would be my choice.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Edelbrock makes a very high quality pump. That would be my choice.
your avatar is queer
Old 03-20-2008, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

thats a pretty high MPG number, with a "heavier" LT1 and 4.10s.. Im impressed.
Well, when you think about it, I had all the MPG friendly mods. Underdrive pullies, electric waterpump, and shortie headers together made it pretty friendly on the fuel. And yes that was with 4.10s.

I can get roughly 27 on the road now in my hotcam LS1 w/ 4.10s if I drive about 70mph. I know its got more than that in it too. I have never had it really tuned, nor has it ever even seen a wideband.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

your avatar is queer
And I am certain you know all about queer you teabaggin faggott