Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Underdrive pulleys?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 05:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underdrive pulleys?

I don't hear much said about them and I don't find them very often while I'm out looking at parts...are the gains to minimal to warrant doing or are they detremental to the engine? I know of some cars that they say you should absolutely not put them on and others that respond very well to them. Just an inquiry I suppose not planning on doing them this year anyway.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:21 AM
10 Second Club

I hear it only makes around 5 more hp!!
Old 03-20-2008, 05:28 AM
TECH Addict

Some people report their car rev's faster with one and others didn't notice anything. I don't have one so I can't say for sure.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:32 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My LT1 with a UD pulley (stock Alternator pulley), WITH a EWP would always have a charging issue and the battery couldnt get charged enough. (on a 11.25 to 1 comp motor)

I removed it and it was much better.

RedScreaminZ put one on his and has never had a issue.

LS1's seem to gain better then LT1's becuase there are more accessories where as LT1's doesnt have much to UD, the waterpump is cam driven, so a EWP shows a good gain there were on the LS1's its minimal.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had one, but it slowed my water pump and affected my cooling in traffic on hot days. I have a standard size Fluid Damper now.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:08 AM
TECH Junkie

i've got one.

installed it in the first month of owning the car along with many other bolt ons. so hp wise i can't say much.
but then again who can honestly feel 5-8hp?

the car did seem to rev faster

i don't have charging issues unless i'm running everything possible...a/c, lights, wipers and radio....then at idle the lights dim just a bit.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

When you take off the old stock one and install the smaller lighter ASP one you will feel the difference. I've had mine for 5 years and it works well.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

I put in the overdrive pulley on my alternator as well. There's enough charge to keep the headlights, foglights, wipers, radio, fan and defroster on at idle. If I step on the brakes and have a turn signal going it'll still manage to keep charge. Keep in mind I've raised my idle to 900 for my cam. I suspect even without the overdrive it wouldn't be too bad seeing as that it still doesn't dim the lights at that point.

Those situations are far and few in between so most of the time it'll be alright.