Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V Clamps in the Mail

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default V Clamps in the Mail

So... I just decided to order some DynaTech V Clamps for my car today. I got extremely tired of all the leaks where the collector fits in the Y pipe. I've been fighting with band clamps for way too long, and they never did seal it up the way everyone always claims they do for them. So, rather than trying aluminum foil and all the other things that we do I just broke down and placed an order from Summit.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku ... if you're unsure what I am talking about.

I know its overkill for leaking collectors, but I am freakin tired of it. If someone climbs under my car and sees these things, first they will know that I am not playing around with this leaking crap... then they will wonder how I got a hold of strange space shuttle parts and how I got them to work as exhaust clamps.

I will post up some pictures after I get them installed.

Next I am going to have a Flowmaster Y installed into my craptacular Pacesetter merge. After the merge it will continue into a 4" pipe that will feature a cutout, then a reducer and another V clamp that connects it to my hooker catback.

Then ladies and gentlemen, my exhaust will be done... lol... I know I have said that before!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtRardin

Next I am going to have a Flowmaster Y installed into my craptacular Pacesetter merge. After the merge it will continue into a 4" pipe that will feature a cutout, then a reducer and another V clamp that connects it to my hooker catback.
That's EXACTLY what I want to do...post up some pics of that when you do it. I ground the crap out of the merge there but it still only looks mediocre at best. Oh, and to the V's.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Oh all merges suck compared to the flowmaster. Mufflex did it right when they built their Y's featuring the Flowmaster merge. I just hope that if I purchase some prebent mandrel bend sections that an exhaust shop here in montgomery al can fab up the exhaust that I want without using any pressbends. I think I am going to wait to do any of that until I have purchased a new rear end... hopefully from midwest.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm right there with you with the horrible leaking out of the collectors . After you post up pics of how these clamps do I may place an order myself, I wish I had done it that way from the beginning.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm tired of the leaks too! I'm going to mess around with the band clamps one more time and if it still leaks a lot i'll have to break downa and order the v clamps
Old 03-24-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Holy crap!!!! I decided to skip the Dynatech V clamp thing because I found some V clamps for a little cheaper at a Volvo truck service center. So naturally I cancelled my summit order and went and picked these up locally and had them in my hand today. Everything is cool, they looked mighty impressive, but after I welded them on I came to the realization that this particular V clamp design sucks @$$. It leaks worse than before.

I realized that they were the wrong design when a guy at another muffler shop showed me what I was really needing... which is what I had originally ordered from summit. lol. So, since I am in a tight and needing this thing to be quiet (driving away in it at my wedding in two weeks) I am going to have him draw a bead around these clamps... so yes they will be completely welded to my headers. But, when it comes time for me to drop my exhaust for something else I will then use the REAL V clamps. He had some on an intercooler, but none to sell me.

On the plus side, I did discover a freshly removed Flowmaster merge that actually came off of a pacesetter Y. He said that he would hack out my old merge and install this one which meets up to mine perfectly with mandrel bends, plus weld my clamps together for $70. Now it will be quiet, have a bad *** merge, and go from 4" to 3".

Here are pics of the BAD v clamps (notice how flimsy the flanges are):

Here is the good one. Notice how thick the flange is at the base compared to the "turbo" style clamp that I bought.

Last edited by KurtRardin; 03-24-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

From the picture you can't tell much difference... and when I took the picture what I had in mind was telling everyone how you could get these awesome v clamps at a local big rig store and save some money... not realizing that I was about to waste $70 on parts and $50 for labor to have terrible leaks!

Like I said earlier, I am stoked about getting a flowmaster merge installed into my pacesetter Y. Its just like the one that I wanted that merges into a 4" pipe. All I would add is a 4" cutout at a later date to be close to my ideal exhaust. It blew my mind that he had it there on a pile of scrap pieces. He said that he actually cut it out of a pacesetter Y pipe earlier, where the original owner had it fabbed up with mandrel bends and decided to ditch it because it was too low for his dropped car.

I'll post some pics of it tomorrow!

Quick Reply: V Clamps in the Mail