Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mass Produced True-Dual System??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mass Produced True-Dual System??

Are there any mass produced true-dual over the axle (or under) cat-back systems for camaros/firebirds? If there aren't any then why not? Don't y'all think there would be a good market for that? I don't know about you guys but I would definitely buy one i somebody made one.

I know texas-speed has a true-dual x-pipe dumped system but thats about all I know of.

This cat-back would be more of a "header-back" system because you would have to do away with the y-pipe. Ground clearance may be the only thing holding back this idea from becoming a reality but with a little work I would think it's possible.

Would anyone else agree with me that a true-dual cat-back would be a big seller if the price was right?
Old 03-25-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

Bassani has one, over the axle. It mounts to the factory cats/manifolds.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

oh yeah, its about $800.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so bassani seems to be the only one, and from what I can tell it has two pipes running all the way out back but into 1 muffler. I was thinking maybe a system that hooks up to long tube headers with an x-pipe that then runs both pipes over the axle on the pass. side and into 2 bullet mufflers or whatever. The bassani system doesn't seem to be to popular and it's pretty expensive. I also read up and found a guy that had to spend extra money at an exhaust shop to get it "adjusted" to fit right. If there was a tru-dual system like I described that you could get for around $600-$700 what would you say?
Old 03-25-2008, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

With the Bassani, I believe the muffler keeps the gases separate, it doesn't mix them, so it basically acts like 2 mufflers.

It is actually around $900 if you go with the stainless. That's the big drawback.

It should bolt right up to the stock cats with no adjustments.

(If you want to get rid of the cats or want to use long tubes, then you will have to do some fabbing.)

Some people posted dyno sheets that showed it gained 15 peak horsepower over another high end aftermarket catback on the same car, so it does sound like a decent system.

I've been looking myself and so far the Bassani is the best option for me. I WISH there were more options. If they made the TSP system in stainless I might consider that, but as it is right now, I will probably be ordering the Bassani next month.

You'd think SLP or another company would come out with a true dual system.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:13 PM
12 Second Club

I wish there was one made as well. I would buy the bassani but I don't want to have to fab it up to long tubes. If there was a kit out there for under a grand in stainless I'd pick it up.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

way back when, i had a shop called Lane's put duals (xpipe dumped bullets) on my formula. The sound was great, but I got tired of smelling like exhaust fumes. Maybe for a race car but not a DD. It cost me 400 to have it custom fabbed up to the car. Your not going to see a full out the bumper, over the axle dual kit for less than 6-700 just because of the time and labor that will be involved.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:40 AM
Teching In

I have installed the StainlessTrue Dual cat-back system from Bassani on my '00 WS6. The ground clearance is not an issue at all & the car is lowered 1-1/2" up front & 1" in the rear. This is a very nice system and sounds better than any TSP, SLP , Magnaflow, etc.... in my opinion. I ordered mine from a place called Performance Peddler out of Californa & they shipped it all the way to Tennesse with free shipping. I had gotten them in a price match with another company that carried the system and they came off from $ 1,178 to $ 826. One draw back is unless you are willing to modify the stainless system & void the lifetime warranty long tubes will not work. However Bassani does offer High-Flow cats & shorty headers that will work with this system.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
I wish there was one made as well. I would buy the bassani but I don't want to have to fab it up to long tubes. If there was a kit out there for under a grand in stainless I'd pick it up.
This is kinda what I was thinking. Bassani is only good if you have stock manifolds/cats. It would be nice if there was a whole system that replaced the y-pipe (cats optional) and the catback. This would be more expensive though, probably around 900-1000 bucks, but worth it IMHO.

Originally Posted by primer84z
way back when, i had a shop called Lane's put duals (xpipe dumped bullets) on my formula. The sound was great, but I got tired of smelling like exhaust fumes. Maybe for a race car but not a DD. It cost me 400 to have it custom fabbed up to the car. Your not going to see a full out the bumper, over the axle dual kit for less than 6-700 just because of the time and labor that will be involved.
This is probably true but over the axle true-duals with an x-pipe made to fit LTs would be nice for around a grand.

Originally Posted by 2000WS6TARA
I have installed the StainlessTrue Dual cat-back system from Bassani on my '00 WS6. The ground clearance is not an issue at all & the car is lowered 1-1/2" up front & 1" in the rear. This is a very nice system and sounds better than any TSP, SLP , Magnaflow, etc.... in my opinion. I ordered mine from a place called Performance Peddler out of Californa & they shipped it all the way to Tennesse with free shipping. I had gotten them in a price match with another company that carried the system and they came off from $ 1,178 to $ 826. One draw back is unless you are willing to modify the stainless system & void the lifetime warranty long tubes will not work. However Bassani does offer High-Flow cats & shorty headers that will work with this system.
That sounds nice but I still don't like the fact that you cant have long tubes.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

could get one fabed. last car i bought had a cat back dual 2.5" system over axle with magnaflows in the rear. really doesnt look hard to make at all, just limited on the over axle space.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get it fabbed up. If you live in a big city, there's a good chance you can find a exhaust speed shop that can do it on the cheap. Mine was done 2.5 inch over the axle and stainless.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

So does this bassani true dual system use the factory Y pipe? If so, doesnt this sort of defeat the purpose seeing as it still merges into into pipe and then back into the rest of the bassani system?

Shouldnt it go straight from the headers/manifolds all the way down the car, and come into a H/X pipe in order for it to be a true dual system?
Old 03-27-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Striker
So does this bassani true dual system use the factory Y pipe? If so, doesnt this sort of defeat the purpose seeing as it still merges into into pipe and then back into the rest of the bassani system?

Shouldnt it go straight from the headers/manifolds all the way down the car, and come into a H/X pipe in order for it to be a true dual system?
It's my understanding that the bassani system bolts up right behind the stock cats. So yes, you can't have long tubes without modifying the system.

To the other guys, I don't really want or need duals right now im just exploring the possibility of mass producing a full over the axle true-dual system for ls1s. Im trying to get a feel for the demand in the market and seeing if it is worth it and feasible.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's been discussed for years but GM has too many build tolerance errors and any one producing such a kit would have a customer relations nightmare on their hands about how it doesn't fit right. That's why everyone goes custom.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Viper
It's been discussed for years but GM has too many build tolerance errors and any one producing such a kit would have a customer relations nightmare on their hands about how it doesn't fit right. That's why everyone goes custom.
This is a very good point. So you don't really think it's possible?
Old 06-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Default Best LTs for this?

So I'm diggin this one up.

I plan on gettin this system soon, and runnin LTs. Ya it'll require fab to match up but I know a place that won't charge me an arm and a leg for it. Also, $900 isn't too bad when you consider it comes with the X pipe, and its all stainless. There are cat-backs alone that cost almost as much and aren't as well made.
But, my question is, which LT header & cats will be easiest to fit with this system? Probably go with Magnaflow High-flows, or Bassani's own Metallicats. Both are pretty small, have good flow numbers, and should help with fitting right?
Headers I'd really like ARH 1 7/8" stepped, EGR & AIR. they are excellent quality, a friend has them, and they are by far the easiest header install I've ever seen or heard of. But, I can't find them sold without the Y-pipe, I need just the headers obviously. Got somebody tryin on that front, but should it not work, what are some other good options?
And as good as they fit with normal exhaust, I don't know about matchin them to the Bassani system.
I get back in town tonight, been TDY(no not the desert) and got the mod bug from missin my car for a few months.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Talking

Yea mine is just like this guys ( i got hooker ss headers tho)- of couse his is a bit cleaner and so is his undercarrige. i really like it!---- https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...assani+install
Old 06-05-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 3" TDs (O/R H and 1 Chambers) that i am selling if anyone is interested?
Old 06-05-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Bassanni true duals fabbed up to my QTP Longtubes. It is a very nice system. Quiet at idle (Stock cam), but really screams WOT. I'm happy with it.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
I have 3" TDs (O/R H and 1 Chambers) that i am selling if anyone is interested?
How much?