Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header\dual exhaust\catback help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header\dual exhaust\catback help

Ok here is the deal. I am getting a set of used hooker 1 3/4 headers for a good deal here in hawaii. So I could not pass them up. My question is this though.

As far as the rest of the set up what route should I go. Cost is an issue as most of the green backs go to the house lol...

I have a flowmaster catback right now and as you can imagine I dont like it at all (i've heard stock catbacks louder). There are a couple of ways I was thinking of goin with it.

1. Hooker headers, cut out and use the flowmaster catback. This way I can have it loud or tone it down some.
2. go the route this guy did in this post here

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...44#post9005344

For those that dont want to read or see the pics. Its a true dual set up from summit. The pipes and x pipe runs you like 95 bucks and then you buy the mufflers of course.

Those are the two option that I have thought of so far but what do yall think? Also what would I be missing with getting these headers? Do i have to have the hooker y pipe to use a cat back or will the flow masters work. What bolts would I need as well?

I have never installed headers or pretty much anything on an exhaust before besides tail pipes and a hanger for a falling muffler once lol.

thanks
Old 03-25-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like option 1. Best performance and prolly most economical too.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:57 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input... Anyone else? I know there has to be opinions out there. Also if I have just the headers what else do I need? does anyone know if the flowmaster setup will bolt on to the hooker headers?

thanks again
Old 03-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Launching!

As long as you get a y-pipe with the headers they should fit up to your current cat back. Also it you dont want to replace the whole cat-back you could just buy a different muffler and have a local shop swap it out to save cash but still have a different sound.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone for the the info... Yeah I cant believe i didnt think about just replaceing the muffler lol... See I said I was a noob didnt I. So Ill jsut get a hooker y pipe and a cutout and I should be good to go I hope (well atleast untill I try to install these headers)