Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4" Merge on a PaceSetter ORY with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 4" Merge on a PaceSetter ORY with Pics

Let this mother Fu#%&r leak again...

After a never ending battle with leaks I decided to go overkill and get some Dynatech V clamps from summit. I took it to Childs Performance Exhaust in Montgomery, AL and had them fit these onto the back of my headers. In addition to this I also had them install a Flowmaster 4" merge in the place of my pacesetter merge. The bends are all mandrel (they had sections of prefabbed mandrel bends on the shelf that they used) and the fit and welds are excellent. It reduces to a 3" pipe to mate up to my hooker catback... for now.

I lost a very tiny bit of bottom end with this free flower, but it really opened up in the mid and top end. Plus, the best part is that the rasp was virtually eliminated. Now its just clean, deep, leak free exhaust.

My next visit will be to weld in an O2 bung so I can hook up HP tuners to a wideband, and to put in a 4" QTP cutout. I would love to come across a 4" mufflex exhaust.

Here are some pics of the clearance. Eat your heart out catted y! In the history of this pacesetter Y pipe I have scrapped ONCE... and I drive it like I'm running from the hazzard police.

Under the 4" merge

The can blew over but you get the idea...

If anyone is considering a pacesetter Y pipe then I HIGHLY recommend having this $55 merge installed. It is well worth it for both sound and flow. Here are some pics of how bad the merge is on a pacesetter Y:

This ladies and gentlemen, is the heart of a little phenomenon I like to call rasp. All that extra material plus the angle in which the exhaust comes together makes for a terrible merge. Pacesetter needs to have some pride in their products and at least trim the hole a little bigger.

This is what a flowmaster merge looks like:

Sound Clip is coming soon!

Last edited by KurtRardin; 01-27-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good **** man. I should've done V-bands while my whole setup was taken apart, but funds were tight and my band clamps have been ok. Awaiting vids :drink:

-J
Old 03-25-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, the first V bands that I had welded on yesterday were the wrong kind... I didnt know that even existed. I got some Nelson V clamps from a local Volvo truck shop and thought that I would do some good by buying locally and getting them a little cheaper than summit... well they leaked like crazy. The counter men had no clue, and since I had never dealt with V clamps before I was none the wiser. I put the two pipes together and fit the clamp over the flanges and viola.... a perfectly bad combination. Evidently I had two of the same ends together, where I should have had a different style flange on the opposite side.
This is the BAD kind of V clamp:

This is the good kind from Dynatech:
Old 03-25-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Here's a sound clip. I tried not to disturb the neighbors when I took the video. I guess I'll find out tomorrow if I did or not, lol.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds good. I'm going to try and play around with my band clamps this week and if they leak they are getting tossed in the trash!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

I honestly don't know why I havent heard more about them around here. They are the ultimate connector! One 1/2 inch bolt undoes them, they make exhaust parts extremely easy to work on, NO gaskets, they absolutely will not leak, good clearance, and they cost about $40 something each. I paid $99 to have a pair of them shipped to my door. If you want to make sure that it isnt going to leak then this is the way to do it!

Last edited by KurtRardin; 03-27-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
I honestly don't know why I havent heard more about them around here. They are the ultimate connector! One 1/2 inch bolt undoes them, they make exhaust parts extremely easy to work on, NO gaskests, they absolutely will not leak, good clearance, and they cost about $40 something each. I paid $99 to have a pair of them shipped to my door. If you want to make sure that it isnt going to leak then this is the way to do it!
I hate how much they cost but i hate the sound of exhaust leaks even more!
Old 03-26-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Band clamps are what, like $15 bucks each? What I would recommend is buying them, and waiting until you have to go to the exhaust shop to do something else, and then have them welded in then for a fraction of the cost.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

Now that I have the exhaust leak situation under control, I need to figure out how to clean all the nastiness out from under my car. I would probably gain a few MPH in the 1/4 just from the weight that would wash off from the underside of my car.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Addict

I've been running my hooker exhaust without tailpipes for quite some time now. Is there anything that I need to be concerned with? Several people have come and told me that I need to have the exhaust pointed away from the car. Its been this way for about 8 months. Nothing has happened. What are they talking about?
Old 03-27-2008, 05:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fumes leaking into the cabin and killing you,maybe?LOL If you are parked ideling for a long time and there is no wind to carry away the fumes,you don,t want the exhaust exiting under the car.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i did this also. best thing ive ever done. i also put one in the back of the i pipe so dropping the whole y pipe takes me 5 mins. including jacking the car up

Last edited by ls2 bait; 01-27-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds awsome =)
Old 03-27-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

How the hell is your car so clean underneath?
Old 03-27-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

+1... and that y-pipe looks like a work of art IMO. The welds are awesome.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:34 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

LS2 bait, who made that ypipe and can I buy it? Seriously, shoot me a price. I'm guessing it will fit kooks/qtp/arh headers.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Dude the mufflex Y pipes are very similar, only not stainless. They are made to fit hooker headers and incorporate a flowmaster 4" merge.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i made the y pipe myself with a buddy of mine. hes an incredible welder and im an **** bastard so it works out nicely. the car gets cleaned underneath usually every other week. i just throw it on the lift and start wiping it down. pretty easy to maintain that way. only about 10 min each time.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

ah, so nice to not have any leaks. I havent experienced this since it was stock!
Old 03-28-2008, 05:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the ypipe as well. My buddy could weld it for me, and I am **** as well so hopefully I can have similar results as you did.

Do you like the cutout? Is it trouble free?
What "catback" system do you run?

Andy

Quick Reply: 4" Merge on a PaceSetter ORY with Pics