Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with an old problem PCV sytem

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need help with an old problem PCV sytem

I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I am at my wits end trying to get this sorted out.

I am trying to setup my PCV system so that I don't get oil in the intake, and I am having a hard time.

I have an LS7 block based 427 with AFR heads, Katech valve covers, FAST 90mm intake, and the later model valley cover vent for the pcv valve. I also have a speed,inc breather in one of the Katech valve covers. I have a hose running from valley cover vent through a fixed orfice pcv valve to my catch can now. In the line coming back to the intake have an in-line Edelbrock paper fuel filter and a Jegs oil/air separator. I am still getting oil in my intake. My new engine only has 250 miles on it and I pulled the intake yesterday to put some fuel rails on it. Oil was dripping out of the ports?

Do you think revextreme can, which is twice the size of mine, will help or should I just eliminate the pcv all together? .

Help or advise would be apprecaited. I have tried everything I know and it just is not working.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Banned

lied in your PM in detail, but you do need a properly setup PCV system for good engine life on the street.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I may have missed it, but do you have any media inside the canister and what kind is it?
Old 03-30-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try and ditch the pcv if you can . plug the intake and tb and put a breather for the other valve cover (not sure how the katecjs are setup ) and you got a breather on the pass. side so you are good there .
as long as both sides are breathing you dont have to worry about pressure building up to pop the valve covers . i got the stock valve covers so i just ran a hose on the back side to each valve cover , rubber nipple on front pass. cover , nipple on intake manifold , plug in my 90mm and a breather where the oil cap goes . took my tb off the other day and it looked good man . no problems here just keep up with your oil changes which any tech does .
Old 03-31-2008, 05:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snake charmer
try and ditch the pcv if you can . plug the intake and tb and put a breather for the other valve cover (not sure how the katecjs are setup ) and you got a breather on the pass. side so you are good there .
as long as both sides are breathing you dont have to worry about pressure building up to pop the valve covers . i got the stock valve covers so i just ran a hose on the back side to each valve cover , rubber nipple on front pass. cover , nipple on intake manifold , plug in my 90mm and a breather where the oil cap goes . took my tb off the other day and it looked good man . no problems here just keep up with your oil changes which any tech does .
Thanks!
I may take alook at doing that. The Katech valve covers have a 3/8" hole in each one and I could tap into the one on the drivers side and vent it. TLewis says his sytem will work? I may try that first and see what happens, because I am already setup for a catch can, although according to him I have it configured wrong.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now go pull your valve cover and look at the milky mess inside of it
Old 03-31-2008, 09:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deeavi
I may have missed it, but do you have any media inside the canister and what kind is it?
Media will saturate with oil & then it can be pulled through easier. This design is eplained in the drawing. It is the most effective we have tested to date & we buy most on the market & try them to compare. We run these on our drag cars w/ZERO oil mist getting into the intake.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:08 AM
Banned

But then you have no filtered frsh air source to "flush the water vapor, unburnt fuel, caustic combustion gasses, and other harmfull contaminates from the crank case & when your engine cools the vapors all condense & run back into your internals. On a street motor you MUST have a vac source at idle & low RPM's that is metered to move the air through the system. The way you descrube you will only relieve crank case prssure at high RPM's, but on a street motor the engine life will suffer. Not good for a street driven car.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
Media will saturate with oil & then it can be pulled through easier. This design is eplained in the drawing. It is the most effective we have tested to date & we buy most on the market & try them to compare. We run these on our drag cars w/ZERO oil mist getting into the intake.
Thanks! I just submitted an order for one.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With only 250 miles on the new engine I would still question if the Rings have seated. What did you do for a break in period ?...
IMO, I would think that 250 make not be enough of a break for the rings and could cause the blow by and oil in the PCV/Intake ? But yeah..I would think a Catch Can should be controling the oil (or at lease most of).
Old 03-31-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bczee
With only 250 miles on the new engine I would still question if the Rings have seated. What did you do for a break in period ?...
IMO, I would think that 250 make not be enough of a break for the rings and could cause the blow by and oil in the PCV/Intake ? But yeah..I would think a Catch Can should be controling the oil (or at lease most of).
Done the intial break-in and have 250 miles since. I don't want all of that oil from the pcv system going into the combustion process causing other problems. Engine runs Good. Just want to make sure everything is right - Got too much money invested to let anything mess it up. Currently running Shell Rotella-T. Going to put at least 1,000 miles on it and switch to Amsoil.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deeavi
Done the intial break-in and have 250 miles since. I don't want all of that oil from the pcv system going into the combustion process causing other problems. Engine runs Good. Just want to make sure everything is right - Got too much money invested to let anything mess it up. Currently running Shell Rotella-T. Going to put at least 1,000 miles on it and switch to Amsoil.
Good plan on the oil....and beat on the moptor a bit in that 1,000 miles to help with the ring seating.