Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 F Body positive displancement SC Kit = 0

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:34 AM
LS'
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 F Body positive displancement SC Kit = 0

Hi I'm a member from that great smog nemesis California.(were there is not 1 mid length or long tube. C.A.R.B approved header for an F-body!) But I digress from my main question/comment:

[Please set me straight if I am wrong but after checking the C.A.R.B Aftermarket Data Base] I can find no C.A.R.B approved Positive displacement supercharger for sale in the united states.[ C.A.R.B. mistakenly cited a magnacharger for sale only in Australia!]

Why hasn't Magnacharger, Kleene Bell, or Whipple stepped up?. I called Magnacharger and they said there wasn't enough money in offering a F-Body Kit!
For me Positive displacement superchargers are the only real superchargers.
They make you feel like you have an extra 250 ci at any rpm. (Centrifugal SC folks are just turbocharger souls that have strayed from the turbo path).
Magnacharger, Kleene Bell, or Whipple think they are going to make their $$$ on the new V-8 Camaro kits[per Magnacharger via phone call.] Unfortunately C.A.F.E. will kill off any new muscle cars with a MSRP of less than $35K (That is if high unit sales, then potential fleet ave.mpg blown!!) in 2-4 years. Too Bad Magnacharger!
Man there's a whole lot of F-bodies out here. We are a huge market. We deserve comprehensive Aftermarket performance support.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default + Displacement SC...

Magnacharger has a kit that is universal. for LS series engines. It has a supercharger that is forward biased by maybe an inch or so. That means that the rotors are moved forward to make clearance to clear most firewalls. The base of the unit still bolts to the heads normally. I know that it seems like half of the engine is under the windshield in an F-body, but maybe this one supercharger would work.
It would be fun to see!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:22 PM
LS'
Teching In

Default Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply. Yes I saw that kit and it is for the new MP 122 H model! [Ed's kit is for the 112 blower]

If it was smog legal I think I would go for the new whipple LS1 universal kit with an even bigger blower [ +10-+11 psi possible }.

So if you have an LS1 and are looking for a positive displacement SC and don't have the misfortune of living in CA, check out Whipple and Keene Bell also.
CAFE will probably mean the end of the muscle cars -except for low unit sales models like the vet.
Then maybe Magnacharger and Whipple and Keene Bell will get their systems cert'd in CA.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

aw man, i was gonna move to ca after college. thats where im originally from, but if i cant bring my cars then im stayin away!
Old 03-31-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

CARB has nothing to do with the the fact there are no PD kits avail for f-bodes, its the amount of modification and lack of space in the engine compartment. if ur wanting to mod ur car based on CARB approved stuff then looks like ur not getting more than some shorty headers, a catback and K&N intake. thats about all thats CARB approved.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

The magnacharger will work. Go to the FI section. There are a few cars running them in there. They say it is not as hard as some will have you to believe to make it fit under windshield. I was pretty sure that the magnacharger was legal if CA.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:10 PM
LS'
Teching In

Default Thanks for the reply

Yes the maggie kit is smog legal in CA if you have a LS1: VET, GTO, GM pick-up or suv but not for any of the F- Bodys!!! (for any maggie kit sold in America.) It's infuriatingly nuts .

LS'
Old 03-31-2008, 05:25 PM
LS'
Teching In

ED Potter of LMSpeed put together a Maggie MP 112 Kit for the LS1 F-Body,
If he can do it (and I have seen smart 'on-line' jpegs of this system, why can Magnuson Company whip up a Maggie Kit?.
Maggie/Magnuson told me that they perferred to go after the new Camaro Market rather than the F-Body owners & not because of technical difficulties, Their price point must be higher with a new Camaro than with any F-body kit that would now be their competition for the F-body customers,

$$$$$ trumps service everytime for the money men.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

I know Ed did one, its not that its impossible, its other manufactures kenne belle, magnacharger, and whipple dont want to deal with the headache of trying to figure out a way to fit it in there. they dont want to deal with custom fabrication type of stuff like cutting of the cowl area.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Veteran

I am trying to figure out your technical input on all of this. You last post in the F/I section was locked, and this is more whining then anything. Whether anyone likes it or not why build a kit and spend the money to get it CARB approved when the car is dead and by the year fewer and fewer on are the road. The market is not getting bigger for LS1 F Bodies its getting smaller. If you live in CA and do not want to install a non carb approved part then don't. There are alot of people in California that run non CARB approved parts. Find some other kind of project to fight. Whining about CARB and other CA bs is quite boring. Just keep your post about this crap in the general forum, your wasting space in this one. If you are wanting to modify your car but not break any laws your driving the wrong type of car. Besides Long tube headers require you to relocate your cat which is illegal nation wide not just California. Relocating your cat is considered illegal, your not going to find a mid or long tube header that is CARB period ( http://epa.gov/oms/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf). If its got to do with V8's going away so what if they do. My life will go on. Materialistic things in my life are fun but not required.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BadMonkey
I am trying to figure out your technical input on all of this. You last post in the F/I section was locked, and this is more whining then anything. Whether anyone likes it or not why build a kit and spend the money to get it CARB approved when the car is dead and by the year fewer and fewer on are the road. The market is not getting bigger for LS1 F Bodies its getting smaller. If you live in CA and do not want to install a non carb approved part then don't. There are alot of people in California that run non CARB approved parts. Find some other kind of project to fight. Whining about CARB and other CA bs is quite boring. Just keep your post about this crap in the general forum, your wasting space in this one. If you are wanting to modify your car but not break any laws your driving the wrong type of car. Besides Long tube headers require you to relocate your cat which is illegal nation wide not just California. Relocating your cat is considered illegal, your not going to find a mid or long tube header that is CARB period ( http://epa.gov/oms/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf). If its got to do with V8's going away so what if they do. My life will go on. Materialistic things in my life are fun but not required.
u go boi, go on wit ur bad self
Old 04-16-2008, 12:51 AM
LS'
Teching In

Default Constructive inpute

It hadn't occured to me, but I guess there ARE people out THERE that like being told what they can do to their rides.

Last edited by LS'; 04-16-2008 at 12:54 AM. Reason: clarification grammer