Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start!!!(Please READ)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start!!!(Please READ)

My car seems to have a mind of its own...On occasions my car will not start when the engine is warm...It has never done it when I start it up in the morning...Anyway, the engine turns over but it never actually starts...I let it sit for a couple of seconds, then try it again...Sometimes it starts the second time while other times it dosent so I keep on repeating the process till it does...My battery seems to be ok, and the alt. is keeping it charged...At this point I have no idea what it is and it's pretty annoying when your beast struggles to start... The car has 54,500 miles on it and its an 01...
Old 07-27-2003, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: Car won't start!!!(Please READ)

Security light on? Get a fuel pressure gauge and check pressure.. For that matter, can you hear the fuel pump running?
Old 07-27-2003, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

The security light is out when the car is on...I tried a different key and it still did this...I can hear the fuel pump come on, and I just changed out my fuel filter the other day...I am kinda leaning more toward a fuel pressure problem...But like I said it only happens when the engine is warm...Kevin
Old 07-27-2003, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't know if it's related or not, but I had TERRIBLE hot start problems with my '94 Camaro. I replaced the starter and it pretty much went away. The problem stems from the starter solenoid (mounted on the starter as it is ) being too close the the exhaust and getting heat soak causing it to preform poorly. That may be the same problem in your case. If your starter is still good, you may want to look into getting a remote solenoid mount kit from summit or jegs. Just my $.02

BTW is it running ok when hot - the problem is just with starting the car, right?
Old 07-27-2003, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

The car runs perfectly fine when its running...The solenoid sounds like a pretty legit reason why its doing this...If the solenoid is going bad will it throw a code?..
Old 07-27-2003, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

nope
Old 07-28-2003, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok this happens to me all the time...it is a pain in the ***...take out your fule pump relay (it's located on your left fender under the hood) and drop it on the ground. don't throw it (it will break) the put it back in. the car will start right up. If that doesn't work, then swap it out with the air pump relay, it sits directly above it and to the left. When you get a chance go buy another relay...I'm just to lazy and cheap to go get another one. Since I disabled the AIR system, I just use that relay all the time, and it seems to be working now. You could also try just wiggling the relay in its socket. It seems to do it every time I spray the N20. I think I'm over working the fuel pump and it's doing something gay to the relay.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

IM having this same problem right now. Glad to hear it seems to be an easy fix, cause im sick of buying parts for this ******* car at the moment.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

well iv heard the valve inside the AIR hose can break, therfore there's no back pressure during start up and that can lead to the car just cranking. doing the thing with the relay helps too
Old 07-01-2007, 12:51 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the no start problem also...turned out to be the starter. I even had the old one tested it passed with flying colors but decided since the car had 100k miles go ahead and put a new one on it. It fixed it. If you have headers that might not be helping the starter out very much. I went ahead and wrapped a "cool tape" around them for heat protection.