Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry water pump

im not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but my 99 ss needs a water pump. im just gonna put a GM replacement back in. i plan gettin a diablo tuner in a little while, but i hear they need a 160 or 180 degree thermostat. is that true? cause if it is, ill put the cooler one in while im doin it. also, does anyone have a link to a step by step "how to" on doing a water pump?? thanks!
Old 04-03-2008, 01:22 AM
Launching!

ls1howto.com
Old 04-09-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

I swapped gaskets on my stock water pump and that was my first time doing it, but in the process I had to remove the water pump.

Here's a quick run through.

#1 Find the petcock(drain screw) at the bottom of radiator and put a pan big enough to hold about 2 gals(8quarts). open it all the way up and remove the screw and it'll drain fast, but be careful not to burn yourself if the engine is hot.

#2 Remove complete air box assembly base and all, throttle body is optional.

#3 get a socket and attach it to the pully tensioner on the passenger side infront of the head. Remove the belt(the big one)

#4 You may need to remove a pulley somewhere,(seems like I did). It'll come to you because it'll be in your way.

#5 remove the hoses, (they're stubborn)

#6 Remove all bolts that hold the water pump on.

then work backwards to get it back together.

make sure you've got all tools you'll need and get some new water pump gaskets from the dealer. stay organized and make sure you don't have anything else to do, so pick like a weekend or something.

GOODLUCK!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Its a piece of cake job, dont sweat it.