Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front O2 sensor codes - low voltage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front O2 sensor codes - low voltage?

I started getting codes on both of my front O2 sensors this weekend: 0131 and 0151, low voltage at the two front-bank sensors.

I have a stock LS1 in a 98 Formula, and recently pulled the car out of storage, and put a few miles on it. It's been sounding a bit different than I remember, almost sluggish or liquidy. So I decided to open it up a bit getting on the freeway. On my shift from 1st to 2nd, it lights up the SES, and gives the codes above. I reset the code, and drove the car later that day. No errors or problems until I decide to try another hard acceleration getting on the freeway again. Same problem, same codes.

I'm planning on replacing the sensors, but I'm half tempted to run off this tank of gas and try another. I've never had problems with this station before, though.

Does anyone have any other ideas of the cause?
Old 04-07-2008, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

I think you're on the right track. How long has your car been in storage? Gasoline doesn't keep for very long, so if it's been sitting for 2-3 mos. then you'll want to get a fresh tank. If it's still throwing codes on fresh gas, then you probably need new sensors.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

It sat since Thanksgiving, but I had stabil in a half-tank of gas. I topped off the tank on Friday.

I figured new sensors were in order, but the "low voltage" reading was strange to me. I wasn't sure if it was something else.

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Staging Lane

Months later:

I ran some injector cleaner through the fuel system, and that fixed the SES codes, so I assumed the problem was fixed, but the car was still a bit sluggish. I took it to a dyno and did a few baseline runs with a wideband O2 sensor. The first run they found I was running way lean (like 14.5). We did a fuel pressure check, and that was fine, so they suggested unplugging the MAF.

It turns out the problem I had was the oil from my K&N filter coated the thin wires on the MAF and caused the computer to lean out the Air/Fuel Ratio.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Mine is throwing all four 02 sensor codes too. But I cleaned my maf and it's still reading lean
Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

A had a K&N too.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** lol makes me wanna go clean my maf now!

Quick Reply: Front O2 sensor codes - low voltage?