Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor mount help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motor mount help

Ok, after undoing the motor mounts for my header install, I got all the bolts in on the passenger side, but can't get the driverside in. Anyone have any tips on this? I can seem to start 3 of the 4 of them, but they are going in at the wrong angle. I can't seem to get the angle right or something. What do you think I could try?

Old 07-29-2003, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Default Re: Motor mount help

You may want to try and separate the two halves of the mount. Bolt the two parts of the mount to the block and K member. Then insert the main bolt back into the mount to put it back together.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is the two halves only seperated by the one bolt?
Old 07-29-2003, 01:44 PM
Launching!

It should just be the one long bolt that runs through the center of the mount. It is on my 02 anyway.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:10 PM
TECH Junkie

I assume these are the bolts that mount to the K-member? If so, don't force them! I had the same thing happen to me on the driver's side and it was a major PITA. I ended up having to run a tap through the nuts in the K-member to make it work - this was loads of fun with the headers and steering rack in the way
I would recommend that you remove the pedestal bracket and gently try to run the bolts into the K-member without the bracket there. If you can get them all started straight without the bracket in place then you should be fine. If not, you may want to try and run a tap through the bad one(s) like I did - don't remember offhand what size tap I used, but I can look back and find out if need be.
I still don't know what caused my problem on the driver's side, but when I did the passenger side I loose attached the pedestal to the K-member and the motor mount to the engine block before slipping in the through-bolt. This required a little "aligning", but not too bad. I think this method helped since I had no problems the second time around. On the driver's side I had left the through-bolt in place and this may have screwed up the threads slightly when I lowered the engine or something .

Hope that makes sense.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Fulton, if you could let me know the tap you used I'd greatly appreciate it. I'll prob be needing it. I don't knoe how in the hell i'll ever get in there to tap it though, guess i need to just keep patient and slow till its back in there.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

The tap is a 10mm x 1.50. If you've already got the headers on and all then you'll just have to be patient. I ended up having to use a tiny combination wrench (I think it was 7mm or something) that fit on the end of the tap for clearance. Its no fun, but if you're patient it should work for you. I'm still baffled at how this happened, but I know how you feel. Good luck