Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this workable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this workable?

Quick question.
I just bought a used set of stainless LT headers. I do not have the money or desire to buy and install a Y. I want to keep the stock cats (for now) because... yes, they use the sniffer here and I want to be legal. I doubt high flow cats are significantly better, and there is also the money issues. Yes I have done a header install before, and so has my buddy who will be working on this with me.
I was thinking it is possible to cut off the stock cats and move them back so the LTs fit. Clamp it together, then have everything welded up. Yes I know this is not the "right way" to do it. Is it workable? I already have a Magnaflow muffler in place and don't want to fool with that for now. In the future, I intend to switch to a catted Y or X pipe, but I want my headers NOW!
Your thoughts?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I dont think it will work right. Your header collectors are probably 3 inch while the stock cats are 2.5-2.75 inches if Im not mistaken. Also where the cats meet the manifold is a 3 bolt flange and LTs are not like that. It would still cost you money to fabricate it so you might as well just wait to install the LTs and save for a Y pipe.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000KnightRider
I dont think it will work right. Your header collectors are probably 3 inch while the stock cats are 2.5-2.75 inches if Im not mistaken. Also where the cats meet the manifold is a 3 bolt flange and LTs are not like that. It would still cost you money to fabricate it so you might as well just wait to install the LTs and save for a Y pipe.
+1. Lts really aren't designed to mount up to stock cats.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Yea by the time you paid the exhaust shop to do all that you prob would have been able to get a y pipe.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

You would have to hack your stock Y-pipe all up and do lots of custom fabrication to get it all to even work. Even after all that, the stock Y-pipe/cats are going to be severly choking those LT's.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the quick responses.
Still considering options here.
Is the stock Y 2.5 inch? Could I get away with 3 inch high flow cats stepped down to 2.5 inch? I can chop up the pipes - no problem. I can get mandrel bent pipes off the shelf at a parts store. Welding no so much.
Also,
The stock Y has a rear o2 sensor and the most reasonable catted Y I have seen does not have a rear o2. That is another reason for me to work with what i have already got.
Thanks