Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How's the port match look on my fast 90?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How's the port match look on my fast 90?

I took a part my ported fast 90 to see how it lines up with the intake runners on my aftermarket heads. As you can see, the fast was ported a little larger than the heads. The fast and heads were purchased together and I was told they would be matched. Is this worth worrying about?

Old 04-11-2008, 11:48 PM
10 Second Club

what heads are those? if you don't mind, who ported the intake? PM me if you don't wanna post it...

FWIW, i've seen a few of the ports on the heads/fast intakes that were a little offset like that.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:16 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you get that resealed properly
Old 04-12-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no expert but that's not how I'd hope to see things matching up. Do all the ports look like that? I'd check with a reputable porter and see what they have to say.

I've always wondered how these intakes can be properly ported without the porter having access to the engine they will be installed on.

The other thing is, that gasket doesn't look like it was making a good seal. Did this car run ok?

Good luck with it.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:28 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine after I was done line up perfectly?
U mightve gone alittle overboard around the sealing area..
Make sure u use some good sealant on that intake
Old 04-12-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JS
Mine after I was done line up perfectly?
U mightve gone alittle overboard around the sealing area..
Make sure u use some good sealant on that intake
You ported your's yourself?
Old 04-12-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Big problem, this will cause all kinds of turbulence in the intake port. IMHO, this is absolutely unacceptable. I would return them both and go somewhere else.

What are the port width's at both the intake and head?

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 04-12-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Big problem, this will cause all kinds of turbulence in the intake port. IMHO, this is absolutely unacceptable. I would return them both and go somewhere else.
Agreed. You can have a transition of smaller intake to head w/out much loss(actually results in a little antireversion), but the opposite is not good at all.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah it looks like that intake is ruined. went overboard with the ports. jmo.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bigti99a
yeah it looks like that intake is ruined. went overboard with the ports. jmo.
Probably not ruined, but it would cost a small fortune to have the heads and intake 'fixed' so they truly do match and flow well.

Who is the vendor?

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 04-12-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input guys. This is not something I did myself. The heads and ported Fast are from the same vendor. I don't want to name them until I report the issue to them and see how they respond. I just discovered this on Friday night so I didn't have a chance to bring it to their attention.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mathia
Thanks for the input guys. This is not something I did myself. The heads and ported Fast are from the same vendor. I don't want to name them until I report the issue to them and see how they respond. I just discovered this on Friday night so I didn't have a chance to bring it to their attention.
I hope everything works out, good luck.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Teching In

I did a seach and found this thread where people discuss how the early PRC ported Edelbrock castings (AKA Terminators) did not line up with Fast 90 intakes.

There the porter said that the mismatch wouldn't have any noticeable affect on performance, but the mismatch is at the bottom of the runner, not the sides. In that thread, people say the bottom of the runner is kind of a dead spot and that's why it doens't matter much. Although I think Texas Speed did change the port design on the PRC Terminators to better line up.

From the responses here sounds like the side are much more critical to get proper flow. Any more input is appreciated.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

could you pm me the porter, im thinking about a ported 90 and dont want this as the result
Old 04-13-2008, 10:23 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by 02NBMFormula
could you pm me the porter, im thinking about a ported 90 and dont want this as the result
That is the first PM about non-sponsor avoidance I have ever seen.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:30 AM
Teching In

Remember, porting is not port matching. Porting is removing material to change the air flow characteristics. Port matching is removing (or even adding) material at the end of the manifold's intake runner so that there is a seemless transition to the cylinder head's intake runner. Below is a pic of a properly port matched intake manifold and cylinder head from this Fast 90 porting thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/8619351-post.html

If you've already got your heads, I don't see how you can be sure a generic ported Fast 90 is going to line up regardless of who ports it. I don't know if all the GM heads (ls1, ls6, 5.3L) have the ports in the same location and shape, but I know the aftermarket heads (AFR, TFS, ETP, Dart and Edelbrock) differ so there's now way a porter can give you a Fast that will line up with everything.

It's quite possible my intake would line up perfectly with ls1 heads, but that's not what I'm going to be running. Maybe I was just sent the wrong intake. I don't know, but I'll be finding out soon. What I'm most curious about though is how much impact does something like this have.

Thanks for chiming in TLewis. Any other pros out there, I'd love to hear your 2 cents as well.

Originally Posted by 02NBMFormula
Old 04-14-2008, 03:09 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

All the stock heads have the ports in the same spot as far as I can tell. I have run the 806/853/241 and the 6.0L truck head (Think it is 306 casting number) They have all lined up with my FAST (unported). The picture of yours looks like it is way off compared to how it ~should~ be if you ask me. I think there is one FAST fitting intake. The mouth is the only thing that I would assume would be the difference be it 78/90/92.

I just don't understand why they would bother taking off material if they had the heads and the intake there to match up. If it were me, and I was port matching, I would have mocked it up first to see what I was working with. Just seems like they just open the box and port them the same without looking at the heads and intake together. Or the intake ports could be just a tad offset on various aftermarket castings.

Just a thought on the situation. Hope you can get it ironed out man. Good luck!
Old 04-14-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Make sure you get that resealed properly
I was thinking of taking my FAST 90 off and port matching it to my stage 2 heads. Does anyone think it will be worth it????? What do you mean about resealing it??? Do I need to buy some special sealant????? Also mine was painted to match the my car, do you think I would damage it by doing this???? Thanks and sorry for hijacking this thread....
Old 04-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You run the risk of damaging a painted intake taking it apart yes.

Is here HP to be picked up from a properly ported intake..YES there is. Is it something for beginners? Well , look at the pics above, do you want to drop the coin for a FAST intake and then ruin it? The intake above will work fine. Is it ideal? NO not by any means and might even hurt the performance than if was left alone.

SO when you ask is it worth if for you I would say no unless you've done something like it before or didnt pay very much for the FAST intake.

Honestly I can do the same thing as anyone porting a FAST. BUT it doesnt mean I know what I'm doing. IMO opinion porting the intake should be done by a professional and not someone who is the cheapest you can find either. That above intake, I'd like to know who ported it, pm me. I have my suspicions. I wont post it, just need to know for my customers sake. It wasnt even a clean job, there is material flaking off in the runner. A good porter does not send out runners with material flaking off in them.

Tony Mamo ported a fast for me. The runners were beautiful. All uniform in size and he will specificaly tell you not to take it apart. He is about as meticulous as it gets. There are others as well who do fine work, Tony is the person who did mine for me.

If you dont get them re-sealed properly your going to be losing power.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:32 AM
9 Second Club

So sorry to steal this thread a bit butt, if I order a ported fast 92 intake for the stock 241 heads, the porting should match perfectly because its stock geometry and port size, but if i upgraded in the future to lets say afr225's that would be a problem? That picture of that port match scares me to be honest i dont want mine to look like that.

Quick Reply: How's the port match look on my fast 90?