Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grrr. Creeping cooling temp???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grrr. Creeping cooling temp???

Damn, just one thing after another.......

Car in question: '88 Formula, LQ4, T56, LS1 pulley setup, 4th gen radiator, 160* stat, single 16" puller fan.

Here ya have it fellas. As I've put almost a thousand miles on my car since it's been together now, I noticed the iron block LQ4 in my car ran about 10-15 degrees hotter than the LS1 in my car prior. I wrote this off as the iron block, and it never seemed to be an issue. On my fourth trip back to Cincinnati from Indianapolis, I noticed the car was having a hard time staying under 210-215 at highway speeds. I pulled off and inspected everything while the car was running (not boiling over, reservoir slightly below the fan mark, fan working properly), and the car dropped +/- 10 degrees in temp as it sat.

After getting immediately back on the highway (slightly outside of Indy), the temp went straight back to 210. WTF? Never creeped past, that was just what it ran up to.

After my arrival home, and letting the car cool down, I took it back out, this time turning the fan on about 140*, holding the car about 160* For a good 10 minutes of driving at least. For around town driving, the car seemed to be fine. Took it out in the country and pounded on it some, and I notice the temp guage gained about 10-15 degrees. After some constant cruising in 6th, the car was right back to 210-215 again.

I'm thinking water pump. Any suggestions here fellas?

PS sorry for the long winded post, I just like to get the details out there
Old 04-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you using a real temp guage or a factory guage?