Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum intake heat soak reduction test

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Aluminum intake heat soak reduction test

Having swapped from nylon to aluminum too frigin' many times, decided to try and reduce heat soak in the aluminum intake because it has always been the intake of which has caused the least amount of problems.

While working on it, the internal runner inlets were smoothed & opened slightly (Weiand). Then header blanket & *sun shield were used to completely cover the bottom of the intake. header blanket & sun shield were also used as gaskets between the intake & heads.

Went on several long drives where oil temps reached 195*F & coolant temps reached 170*F. These are the normal operating temps for my car. Prior to the header blanket/heat shield modification, could not touch the intake after such a drive because the intake was too hot to touch. Now, I can place both hands on the intake front & rear without issue. I'd estimate the intake temp to be around 105-110*F. Should also note that both heater hoses are wrapped & heat shields cover my headers. There is also ambient air fed into the under hood compartment.

I'd say that the intake is similar in temp as was the nylon intake after such a drive. Have no heat gun to measure, but, for sure the intake is cool enough to place your hand on without being burned. For me, this was worth the effort. Am not stating that the heat soak is less than or equal to a nylon intake. Am saying that heat soak in an aluminum intake can be reduced.

*sun shield is the aluminum colored foam stuff that people put in their windshield, while the car is parked in the hot sun, to save the dash & reduce heat inside the car.

Quick Reply: Aluminum intake heat soak reduction test