Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Headers Install Tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hooker Headers Install Tips

I'm installing my headers tonight and could use a few tips. Does anyone have a list of all the parts I'm going to need to take off the make the install easier? How should I go about labeling my plugs and wires? Is it ok to catch the oil that spills and put it back in? (Oil was changed less than 200 miles ago). Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:56 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Hooker Headers Install Tips

ist smarter to just change the oil because of dust and dirt that might get into it while its sitting, unless you can get ti directly into a clean sealed container... I would also recommend some gloves...might bust up your knuckles trying to bust loose a few bolts... I would replace plugs while you got em out cause you can put em in the headers before sliding them in place...much easier that way. get some new wires while you're at it...factory replacement ones are fine...$65 i think??? some liquid wrench or wd40 or equivelant penetrating oil the night before....spray it on when they're still pretty warm or even hot to the touch....easier that way... putting mine on in about 2 weeks...had to get shop time so I could use a buddy's lift....I dont like laying on the ground. If you drink... a case of beer and a friend will be necessary.... figure 5-15 hours depending on your mechanic-skills. your gonna need some pcm editing...any local performance shop can usually do it. mainly you need egr and air codes removed cause there isn't a place for them on headers. and you might as well remove those parts while you're at it. depending on where you live...youmight need some custom tuning to be emissions compliant/legal. and a new exhaust to compliment your headers...and maybe to control the volume a little. most shops it'll run you $200-$400 for exhaust and a few will put on the headers for you...usually around the same amount.....

if they're not coated with ceramic...be sure to use some high temp engine enamel(paint) on them...will help them last longer....and look better...even though you really cant see that much.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hooker Headers Install Tips

It took me and a buddy of mine, using a car lift, about 6.5 hours to install my hooker sc lt. The most difficult part was busting loose the header bolts. As far as oil, you're only gonna lose about 1/8-1/4 of a quart. Just keep the plugs, wires, and coil packs in order and you'll be fine. Passenger side - Remove egr, all wires, all plugs, and two middle coil packs to get to the header bolts. It was best to remove the last rear bolt from underneath. Driver side - Remove air, all wires, and all plugs to get to the header bolts. Depend on what's easier for you, you'll need to remove the steering linkage or grind down the engine block tab to install your new header from underneath. Installing your headers is always easier if you have help... Good luck!