Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker VS. Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker VS. Magnaflow

Hey guys, I know this has probably been covered before. If not this exact question, something like it. I read the sticky and I've searched for an extremely long time, and I've come to the conclusion that I am going to get a full 3 inch catback. I plan to have the Pacesetter LT's with the Texas Speed Off Road Y pipe. I will also get a lid and 3.73 gears.

As of now, though, my car is 100% stock. I just got it a few days ago and I'm ready to mod. My very first mod is going to be a catback exhaust. Since i don't plan to do H/C for a while, I'll stay with the catback. If I ever do the H/C setup, I'm going to go with True Duals.

My question is, between the Hooker 3 inch and the Magnaflow 3 inch, which will show better HP gains. I will not be getting a tune until the exhaust, headers, lid, and y pipe are on. If the gains are extremely close, I'm going to go with the Hooker because i can get it about $100 cheaper. What kind of HP gains can i expect from just a catback untuned?

Like i said, I'm sure this has been covered before, and I'm sorry for posting a repetitive question. I am about to buy one of these two exhausts extremely soon, and don't want to get one, and then find out later that the other would've been better in performance. So if someone could chime in and let me know if one would yield a little more than the other and what i could expect from the catback alone, i would be very grateful. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2008, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

I have a Hooker on my car, my brother had a Hooker and took it off and replaced it with a Magnaflow.... They both have a different sound. I do know my Bros cam only car only lost 6 rwhp from an open cutout to a closed cutout through the Hooker... He never did try it with the Magnaflow. I like the Mag because its Stainless and a really nice peice, and sounds really good. But I also like the My Hooker sound as well. Its just whatever you like.... Go to LS1sounds and listen to the different exhausts. They should show similar gains....
Old 04-19-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

i just installed LT's, ORY, and a Hooker Catback yesterday, and i love it, i too was looking between the two, but i have heard a couple of magnaflow setups on the ORY and notice alot of rasp, there is a little rasp with the hooker, but the idle is a nice rumble not much louder than stock, it is mean as hell sounding when getting on it, and when cruising 5th or 6th gear at 60mph it is quiet so you can still talk and listen to the radio, I say go HOOKER!
Old 04-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

I have listened to LS1sounds.com and honestly think the Hooker sounds better. However, i like the look of the Magnaflow better. My main concern is horsepower. I am wodering if they'd both yield the same amount, or if one would yield more than the other.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

Im in the same boat as you. I just bought my car with Hooker LTs, ORY, and a Flowmaster 3" cat back. It doesnt sound bad but it seems a lot of people have dyno proven a loss in power with the Flowmaster.

I am trying to decide on Magnaflow or Hooker also. Also been thinking about just doing a muffler instead of replacing the whole thing. I got a price on the Magnaflow at wholesale so Im highly considering that but the Hooker sounds so much better on the cars Ive heard it on(stock except CB). Ive heard Magnaflow on Headers and ORY and dont like it. But Im out for more power than anything. Does anyone have any results comparing the two in similar modded cars?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hookers flows better than Maganflow but Magnaflow sounds a lot better.

good luck with your choice and check LS1SOUNDS for sound clips.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

Catback will give you 8-12hp maybe without the tune.

with Headers and full exhaust Lid 3.73 330-340rwhp
I suggest Porting your TB and getting LS6 Inatke unless your planning getteing Fast setup these mods is a must.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

i read somewhere on here the other day about hooker making a little more torque than some catbacks, but i cant remember for the life of me where i read it
Old 04-20-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would give the Hooker Areoflow muffler a slight advantage in flow but nothing you'll ever notice SOTP or ET wise. UNC Charlotte did a flow study on mufflers and IIRC the Hooker was the highest flowing CHAMBERED muffler. Go with what sounds best to you. I like Hooker because it flows good, sounds good and drone and rasp are virtually non-existent.

Edit- I am biased, it's not in my sig but I run a Hooker CB. Gonna sound awesome after I get my ARH LT's and catted Y, H/C etc... on in the next couple weeks.

Last edited by SOMbitch; 04-20-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

both are very, very good quality flowing catbacks!! the magnaflow has better quality and the the sound is more crisp sounding i think. the hooker has a better deeper rumble sound than magnaflow. u cant go wrong with either.

when i got my car, it was all stock besides the slp lid. then i put on the magnaflow catback and it really woke it up. felt a whole lot torquey.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

UNC Charlotte is only about 20 mins away from me.

I'm really glad i posted this question because i THOUGHT the Magnaflow was slightly better and was actually going to purchase it. I honestly think the Hooker sounds better and is also cheaper. It looks like I'm going to get myself a Hooker. No pun intended.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think the hooker sounds the best myself.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

I recently installed a Hooker CB on my car. I switched from a Borlamouth. My car has Pacesetter LT/ORY w a 233/239 112lsa cam. The hooker sounds incredible. It almost has a Mustang 5.0 sound to it and absolutely screams under WOT. It is not loud at idle and hides the cam as best as you can but once the car is rolling it sounds great.

As far as Stainless is concerned, I dont drive the car in rain or snow and in my opinion the Hooker sounds way better than the Magnaflow.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

I found a flow chart comparison, maybe this can help you:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...r+numbers+flow
Old 04-20-2008, 12:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Imo the Hooker sounds better with lt's
Old 04-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

They are both pretty quiet unless you have a cam ... the main difference in sound is caused by the big tips the come on the Magnaflow. Testing and personal experience has shown them to be very similar in terms of flow and performance. Pick the one you like best and go with it.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

they will both be damn near the same, the advantage will be that the magnaflow is stainless and will last forever while still looking good. While you might have to take a little more care of the hoker down the road to keep it in good shape.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kilgothephenom
UNC Charlotte is only about 20 mins away from me.

I'm really glad i posted this question because i THOUGHT the Magnaflow was slightly better and was actually going to purchase it. I honestly think the Hooker sounds better and is also cheaper. It looks like I'm going to get myself a Hooker. No pun intended.
Just keep in mind that the Hooker is aluminized steel, while the Magnaflow is stainless, hence the price diference.

I'd like to go Hooker becasue of the sound, but I live in New England and drive the car pretty much all year, so I want stainless.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

it just hard to turn down a 'hooker' that moans that good
Old 04-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Just keep in mind that the Hooker is aluminized steel, while the Magnaflow is stainless, hence the price diference.

I'd like to go Hooker becasue of the sound, but I live in New England and drive the car pretty much all year, so I want stainless.

Yes that crossed my mind. I live in North Carolina, and it RARELY snows. Also when it rains, i usually drive a different car if i can. So i think the Hooker would last a while given my environment and car situation.

Quick Reply: Hooker VS. Magnaflow