Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulley installer

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pulley installer

I purchased RevXtreme's billet aluminum pulley set. Got my factory ps pulley off with no problem. Now, when I go to install the new power steering pulley, the center bolt keeps backing out. The more I looked at this, the more it looks like a flaw by the pulley installer manufacturer. Both the installing nut and the centering bolt are right handed threads. As soon as it starts getting tight the damn centering bolt begins backing out. I have tried every thing...heating the pulley up, greasing the shaft and taking vise grips to the shaft to hold it still while I tighten the centering bolt.....I know the vise grips are a no no, but I didn't have a choice. I even checked the clearance of RevXtreme's pulley and it is not even as tight as the factory's pulley. What can I do to get this pulley on? Does ANYONE make a pulley installer that has installing nut with left handed threads while the centering bolt keeps it right handed threads?

PLEASE HELP. My car is of no use until I get this problem fixed. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Launching!

no one?
Old 04-20-2008, 07:02 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm not quite sure what you're saying but from what I remember to intall you bottom out the center nut and then use the 'bolt' type piece that is on the center nut to force the pully down on the shaft.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
I'm not quite sure what you're saying but from what I remember to intall you bottom out the center nut and then use the 'bolt' type piece that is on the center nut to force the pully down on the shaft.
That's what I have done. Maybe to explain this a little better than what I previously metioned. Since the power steering pulley is a press fit, when I go to press the pulley onto the shaft, the shaft turns. Once the shaft begins to turn, there is no way other than holding the centering screw to prevent it from turning. If holding the centering screw to prevent the shaft on the pump from turning, the centering bolt will then begin to back out. How do I prevent the shaft on the pump from turning when installing this pulley?

The pic below is a representative of what I am doing. My pump is still in the car. I found this pic on the internet to help explain better what I am trying to do.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:23 AM
11 Second Club

The unit in the pic is just like a mac tools installer, good product, you need to run a tap into the threads on the pump they usually get full of rust and crap so the bolt wont go in far enough to hold, then just hold the bolt with a socket and breaker bar, or wrench and use a ratcheting wrench on the pressing nut.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rpmauto
The unit in the pic is just like a mac tools installer, good product, you need to run a tap into the threads on the pump they usually get full of rust and crap so the bolt wont go in far enough to hold, then just hold the bolt with a socket and breaker bar, or wrench and use a ratcheting wrench on the pressing nut.
That is correct, just don't bottom it out to hard or you can damage the pump. The K-D tools installer has a large nut to push it on so you can slip a deepwell socket over the bolt & use a small impact.

Good luck....they are a bitch.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Well, I FINALLY figured it out. It's nothing more than the wrong bore diameter of the pulley. However, I won't say anything negative about the company because they have not had time nor a chance to remedy the problem. They have been fantastic in the past and hopefully be able to perform the same in the future.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nitenshinarmor
Well, I FINALLY figured it out. It's nothing more than the wrong bore diameter of the pulley. However, I won't say anything negative about the company because they have not had time nor a chance to remedy the problem. They have been fantastic in the past and hopefully be able to perform the same in the future.
New one shipping out tomorrow! (it was a C5 vette style sent by mistake!!)
Old 04-24-2008, 06:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
New one shipping out tomorrow! (it was a C5 vette style sent by mistake!!)
RevXtreme is the BEST! I really appreciate the great customer support. This pulley will look AMAZING when I get it on. Again, Thank You for the SUPERIOR customer support. You can't ask for better. JP, you da man.

Quick Reply: Pulley installer