Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Hitting.. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Hitting.. HELP!

I recently installed some Pacesetter LT's, 2 each - 3" Magnaflow Cats, and custom pipe to tie the LT's and CATS back into the car's stock exhaust. I do have a Flowmaster 40 muffler, but it is stock from the connection right at the transmission on to the back of the car. Anyway, I did the work myself and it being my first time found a side effect I wasn't planning on. When I go WOT from a stand still, the engine torques and I think it hits the bottom of the car. It sounds like a popping noise. When I installed, I tucked everything up nice and close to the car's body. On average, I have about 1/2" of clearance between the pipe and body. Does anyone have any suggesions or tips that I can do to prevent the popping noise on take-off?? Also, I need your all's help on where to go next. I'm trying to decide on my next bolt on(s).. I have HPTuners, the Long Tubes, K&N filter kit. What would anyone suggest on the next upgrade. I was thinking about a new MAF, New Throttle Body, New Intake, 160 deg Thermo, etc. What suggestions do you all have??? Thanks in advance!!
Old 04-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Where do you think it hits at? I have mostly the same setup and kinda have the same response but I know where mine hits.

For your next mod, listing what kind of budget you have to work with will give you better responses. Are you auto or manual trans? Gears? Wheels and tires you have now, etc....
Old 04-20-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i have about a fingers distance between my pipe and the car body, no bumping or hitting.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

its hose and clamp time
Old 04-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the quick responses... I believe it is hitting on the driver side where I have tucked the magnaflow cat right up against the body or where I have flanged the connection from the long tubes. Have you all used flanged connections or did you weld to the long tubes. I checked and I have approx finger distance between the pipes and body. I also just descovered that I think my trans is slipping in first... Could this cause popping noises?? It is an A4 trans. I am willing to spend around a $1000 on my next upgrade (unless rebuilding my trans cost too much )... Thanks again for the ideas!!