Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions, Decisions...Intake or Exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Decisions, Decisions...Intake or Exhaust.

Hi All!
This is my first post here. I was a V-6 Firebird owner twice before making the upgrade to my now beautiful '01 Formula.
I am in a bind though...and don't know what to get.
My first option is to get a full Corsa Exhaust with the full polished tips.
My second option is to get the Power Package #1 from TBYRNE.com which cosists of the Whisper Lid, a SLPMAF and BBK and an 80 mm throttlebody. I would also purchase a K&N Filter and the SLP ram-air.

Any input on other modifications worth my while around the 700 dollar range are welcome also. I look forward in getting to know you all, and thank you in advance.
Ed
Old 08-02-2003, 09:25 PM
JTM
TECH Regular

Default Re: Decisions, Decisions...Intake or Exhaust.

Don't waste your money on that stuff, corsa sounds alright, but is way too expensive. Aftermarket mass air and throttle body are a waste of money. I would highly suggest a TSP lid, and a cutout to start off with your mods.
Old 08-02-2003, 09:27 PM
Restricted User

Jet hot long tubes- and hooker Y pipe until you go true dual, about same price as Corsa.

Agree TSP lid, add SSRA. Free mods too!
Old 08-02-2003, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, you're gonna need to help me a little bit...what is the TSP lid and what are it's advantages over a Whisper? I'm not really looking to get true duals...but eventually headers...I am considering the SLP LongTubes. But to stay on topic, why are the MAF and the throttle body a waste?
Old 08-02-2003, 09:55 PM
7 Second Club

Maf and Throttle body offer very little or no gain.Slp headers are ridiculously expensive.I would suggest you spend some time researching on this site before you buy anything.Anything you want to know is available here just look around.Pay special attention to the guys with high post counts.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

Alright, will do. I personally think I am leaning towards the Corsa. We have a 30th Ann. Trans Am with one and it looks great and sounds great...I am just curious how it will look on a Formula...but I'll research some more. Thanks For all of the advice fella's.
Ed
Old 08-02-2003, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Ported TB was worth 3rwhp 5rwtq on my car when it was a bolt car...there are more cost effective stuff to do first. BBK is very expensive and will show little gain on a bolt on car. Descreening the stock maf can get you 3rwhp. My SLP 85mm MAF was worth 6rwhp. Not all cars respond with a gain to aftermarket MAF's.

Is the car A4 or M6?

If M6 get a aftermarket shift like the Pro 5.0, a CAGS eliminator for starters...you will enjoy the car a lot more.

M6 or A4

Get a lid Direct Flo or the new TSP are nice. Lids are pretty close in performance from what I've read. Whisper is ok local dyno operator said the Direct Flo was worth ~1-2rwhp over it when he was involved in testing it. Someone posted the TSP appeared to be worth ~2rwhp over direct flo on a heads and cam car. Main thing is get a lid.

http://www.texas-speed.com see the section on induction for LS1 fbodies

Get a cold air induction set up like Fast Toys, Super sucker or SLP CAI with Fast Toys adapter.

Might as well get a Holley air filter too, seems to be made better than the K&N

A cut out you can cap will cost $40 and flow as well as the best cat-back but will be very loud. A SLP dual/dual flows great and used can be found for $200. If you want a new catback the Corsa is very hard to beat for sound and quality also flows very well. Borla is nice too.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Where can I get a TSP lid? By the way I have an A4 in my Formula.
Ed
Old 08-03-2003, 09:43 AM
Launching!

TSP = Texas Speed & Performance one of the sponsors over ==============>

Look through all of the sponsors, happy shopping
Old 08-03-2003, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks Last Yellow Bird...I am looking at the packages...which one is best worth my money...and when they say I need a K&N Panel Breaher...they just mean the panel filter right?
Thanks...Ed
Old 08-03-2003, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Where can I get a TSP lid? By the way I have an A4 in my Formula.
Ed
LOL!!!

I even put the link in my post
Old 08-03-2003, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

HAHA... I guess I never made the connection...
Ed-eh rookie
Old 08-03-2003, 05:49 PM
Launching!

just like everyone else said, get a lid and catback first...i wouldnt buy stuff from SLP because they over price...

and corsa...i dont really like the sound...its too tame...i suggest the Dynomouth setup(dynomax bullet #24222 in the i-pipe 15rwhp gain)...and a nice 3200Torque Convertor
Old 08-03-2003, 07:19 PM
Launching!

I have the dynomouth as well, sounds good as long as you go with the dynomouth bullit in the I-pipe. All for less than $500 installed. I'm not sure what the K&N panel breather is, but you are probably right, just a panel filter.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:31 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the SLP Loud Mouth or just remove your muffler and put a tube in its place. Your car will be too quiet until you eliminate the muffler since the cats act as mufflers also.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone starts with lid and exhaust, but for an A4 I would get a 3000+ stall torque converter before buying anything but a lid. A converter will do more for an A4 than any other mod except for nitrous or a blower.

I like Direct Flo and TSP lids, but there are some great deals on used lids out there if you are on a budget.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:34 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks everyone, keep the opinions and ideas coming...I could use all I can get. I am not going to race my car...but I do enjoy making it sound better and giving it a little extra zip. I don't think I'd have any use for a stall converter, but seriously, thanks for the idea. I don't race her becuase I am too afraid of blowing out a rear end... and even though I am on a pretty loose budget, I know I definatly couldn't afford a 12 bolt, or once it blows...a new one. Right now, I think I am going to go with a TSP Lid with the Fast Toys RAM AIR (that thing looks like it could suck up small animals that get in the way) with the Corsa Exhaust. This is about all my budget will stand right now. With the FTRA, does anyone have any clearance problems with it. Even now I have to creep over speed bumps because of the low exhaust manifold.
Ed