Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have to tune computer with header install?

Old 08-03-2003, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Have to tune computer with header install?

I have a 2002 Camaro Z28. Mods so far are SLP Cold Air, SLP Lid, SLP MAF, Corsa Cat Back, and some BMR suspension parts with HAL shocks all the way around. Want to and thinking about getting either Pacesetter or Hooker long tube headers (have not decided which ones yet) with an off road pipe and dual electric cut outs. If I go that way, will I have to or would it be a good idea to get the computer tuned? Keep in mind, still new at all of this and new to the LS1's so it may be a stupid question. And won't actually be doing any of this for at least three months or so, just trying to plan ahead. Thanks for the help & info.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Have to tune computer with header install?

I've heard that the LS1 tends to run a little rich after headers...welcome to the board..
Old 08-03-2003, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you retain your cats and use a header with all the emmissions then the computer should be able to compensate for this mod because it can use all the sensors as it would in a stock application and be able compensate accordingly.
A header with off road pipes and/or emissions will need tuning.

The biggest hurdle with off road pipes is COT. COT stands for Cat Over Temp.
The problem is that when you install headers it makes the car run lean and the COT feature in the computer sees this and knows that the cats are overheating (even if they are not there as in off road pipes). So the COT dumps excess amounts of fuel in order to cool the convertors. This will cause the car to run rich and even "foul" O2 sensors and can cause hesistation/surge conditions if not corrected. So you have to have these features corrected.

If you use a non emissions header then you also need to have the EGR and AIR systems disabled.
With off road pipes you can either run 02 simms or you can have them deleted with LS1 EDIT/ Diablo/or you local tuner.

As far as the headers do a search and see which have the fewest problems, it is better to buy once than two or three times to get it right

Later,
Bart
Old 08-05-2003, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the welcome and the help. Some of that I would have not thought of. I am sure it will be abig help when I finally get all that stuff and start putting it on. Thanks again.
---Sebastian
Old 08-06-2003, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you retain your cats and use a header with all the emmissions then the computer should be able to compensate for this mod because it can use all the sensors as it would in a stock application and be able compensate accordingly.
A header with off road pipes and/or emissions will need tuning.

The biggest hurdle with off road pipes is COT. COT stands for Cat Over Temp.
The problem is that when you install headers it makes the car run lean and the COT feature in the computer sees this and knows that the cats are overheating (even if they are not there as in off road pipes). So the COT dumps excess amounts of fuel in order to cool the convertors. This will cause the car to run rich and even "foul" O2 sensors and can cause hesistation/surge conditions if not corrected. So you have to have these features corrected.

If you use a non emissions header then you also need to have the EGR and AIR systems disabled.
With off road pipes you can either run 02 simms or you can have them deleted with LS1 EDIT/ Diablo/or you local tuner.

As far as the headers do a search and see which have the fewest problems, it is better to buy once than two or three times to get it right

Later,
Bart

This is not entirely accurate. The computer will compensate for the A/F ratio at part throttle and cruise. It cannot and will not compensate for it at WOT. This is because at WOT, the computer ignores the readings it recieves from the O2 sensors and reads from the PCM's preset fuel map. If you need more or less fuel than this fuel map indicates, as you would in a lean or rich condition, then you need to reprogram the PCM with new fuel and spark curves.
Some people use a MAF translator as a temporary fix. It fools the PCM into thinking it is getting more or less air than it actually is. This allows you to "tune" the air/fuel ratio.
The bottom line is, to get maximum benefit from any part installed onto or into a computer controlled engine, you need to have the computer tuned for it. Does that mean that every time you put a part onto your engine that you have to have the computer tuned? Of course not.
I would buy a MAFT and use that to keep your A/F ratio close to correct...finish all your engine mods...then have the computer dyno tuned with LS1 Edit.

Search this Thread