Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP Manual Cutouts

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QTP Manual Cutouts

I have a 2002 Camaro Z28 and i ordered two QTP Cutouts was planning to put them on before the Y pipe but after ordering them i was looking under the car and noticed that after the cat on the driver's side the pipe is flattened for ground clearance, so my question is what can be done to get the cutout in that spot because i know there is someone one on this site that has cutouts there. Thanks
Old 04-26-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take it you are running the stock ypipe?
Old 04-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Teching In

yeah does that matter?
Old 04-26-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, an aftermarket would make it easier but I know that the user "uno99" has a stock y pipe and has dual cutouts on it so its possible. Send him a PM, he probably could get you some pictures. Right after the collector, before it is flattened is your best bet. Or go with an SLP ypipe and cutouts or just a single cutout after the ypipe. For the most power, LTs and an aftermarket ypipe would net you the best results because it will smooth out the flow of exhaust gases the best and let your engine breath the best.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Teching In

LTs? long tube headers?
Old 04-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Tech Resident

IMO, it's best to just run one cutout. I have mine in that area underneath the rear passenger's seat. No issues. That area was practically made for a cutout. On top of that, with stock manifolds and a stock y-pipe, everything I've ever seen shows that it's better to run the cutout after the y-merge so you get some scavenging out of the system. It may be a different story if you have a built motor with LT's and a H/C package, but on stock vehicles, everything I've always seen has showed one cutout to be superior to two.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Teching In

chocotaco are you only running one? and you said yours is by the passenger's seat so wouldn't that be before the y pipe or are you running full after market exhaust so its better to have it there for you since its not the stock exhaust system?
Old 04-26-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, he's running just one. It's right by the REAR passenger seat.

Good luck!
Old 04-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Teching In

alight
Old 04-26-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
IMO, it's best to just run one cutout. I have mine in that area underneath the rear passenger's seat. No issues. That area was practically made for a cutout. On top of that, with stock manifolds and a stock y-pipe, everything I've ever seen shows that it's better to run the cutout after the y-merge so you get some scavenging out of the system. It may be a different story if you have a built motor with LT's and a H/C package, but on stock vehicles, everything I've always seen has showed one cutout to be superior to two.
I am not sure where the cutoff is but it has to be well over the 500hp range to benefit from dual cutouts.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KCCamaro
LTs? long tube headers?
yeah, that would be your best bet, along with a new ypipe. that really helps to wake things up and one cutout is plenty. I just know that some people are gung-hoe about their mods so I didnt want to tell you to not if thats what you really wanted to do.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Tech Resident

Here's a picture to show you the location of the cutout on my car.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
yeah, that would be your best bet, along with a new ypipe. that really helps to wake things up and one cutout is plenty. I just know that some people are gung-hoe about their mods so I didnt want to tell you to not if thats what you really wanted to do.
thanks for the information just a little short on funds but if i wonder my way into some money i will go with that setup.

choco thanks for the picture quite helpful. how often do you have the plate off? is that your daily driver?
Old 04-27-2008, 12:27 AM
Teching In

when i do find that money what are the names of some highly recommend LTs and y-pipes?
Old 04-27-2008, 01:34 AM
Launching!

you'll find on here that more than a lot of people vote that Pacesetter is probably the most bought and most recommended header setup.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by KCCamaro
choco thanks for the picture quite helpful. how often do you have the plate off? is that your daily driver?
No problem. I actually have NEVER had the cap on my cutout I lost it probably over a year ago. QTP just sent me a free replacement a little while ago, which was very nice of them, but I need to go get some nuts and bolts for it. Honestly, I don't know what my car sounds like with LT's and Corsa because my cutout has never been closed since the day I put it on.

It used to be my daily driver, but I'm living in Philly now and my car's in NJ. I drive it one or two weekends a month, that's it. With gas prices what they are, I'm cool with that.