Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decision Time!! - FAST?? TB?? Filter?? Etc HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decision Time!! - FAST?? TB?? Filter?? Etc HELP!!

I feel like I'm running in circles trying to decide what's next. I currently have a K&N FIPK, Pacesetter LT's, high flow cats, and HPTuners. Car runs good, but like any other disease, I need MORE!!! Anyway, I am willing to spend around $1000 - $1500 for some new bolt ons. Would I benefit from using a FAST 90 or 92 intake and TB??? I know it has to help some, but will I be loosing torque if I don't change other things like heads/cam?? I am also looking at a 160 Tstat and possibly a new filter. I like my FIPK, but when I log I do notice a too high Intake Air Temp.. I'm planning on modifying the mounting plate to get more cold air around the filter. Since I have a sheet metal shop, I'm hoping this will be relatively simple.. I dyin over here tryin to make a decision !! HELP PLEASE.. Thanks in advance!!
Old 04-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Launching!

ORY first.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

I hate to be stupid cause I have seen this on the forums for some time but what on earth is an 'ORY'??????
Old 04-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Launching!

off road y pipe
Old 04-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

I have a 'Y' pipe setup but I have high flow cats between the headers and main pipe. I left everything pretty much stock from the main pipe back except the muffler is a flowmaster 40. I constructed all my connections from 3" pipe.. Do you think I need to order one and use a commercial 'Y' pipe setup??
Old 04-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

anyone else????
Old 04-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Are you a M6 or an A4? Gears and a stall would probably benefit you more than the fast intake would if you're not planning on new heads/cam.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS6 intake, with a MS3 would be pretty badass
Old 04-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

I have a A4... Don't know what a 'Stall' is or 'MS3' ... Could you explain?? Thanks
Old 04-26-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

A stall very first thing if you have an automatic. A cam package and an ls6 intake would net you some very good power.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea i would go LS6 intake before fast, its the best bang for the $$$ i just got one and port and polish your throttle body i just did that too, also a stall and heads and cam pakage.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

well I hate to be an idiot... But what is a 'Stall' ??? I'm clueless.. I do have an Ls6 intake (01 Z28), so that's good. Therefore, I will either port my tb or buy a new one... Any other help??
Old 04-26-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search for aftermarket torque converters aka stalls. I just installed a Precision Industries Vigilante 3600 converter. It should have been the first thing I bought for my A4
Old 04-26-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

"stall" = higher stall torque converter. I'd go with a precision vigilante somewhere in the 3500 range. Wicked converters, they have lock out as well so they are fully streetable.

edit: firefighter beat me to it, 3500,3600 etc would be fine. I would set 3800 as the max for a DD, just my opinion.

edit pt2: you could look into a cutout as well for some cheap horsepower, and put an electric plate on it as a volume **** if you are cruising on the interstate or get tired of the noise. and as stated before, a gear would be great, like a 3.42 or possibly a 3.73 depending on your tolerance and what you consider DD friendly.

edit pt3: i keep comming up with stuff lol , have you tweaked your tranny at all in hptuners? if not look into upping the line pressure some decrease shift time (makes it shift quicker with less delay), and make sure you get rid of the torque management (either all or part of it) that would all be free stuff you can do to improve performance and feel.

Last edited by RoDan; 04-26-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1-NAVY
LS6 intake, with a MS3 would be pretty badass
dude he doesn't even know what a stall, and a ORY is. I doubt he knows what a MS3 is too, start with the basics.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

Completely agree!!! Before you do anything else I would do a Higher stall TC and 3:73 Gears for the rearend. You will see a remarkable difference in performance with these Mods. Then you will be set up for further Mods: ie Cam and Heads in the future. Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by tylerdj
A stall very first thing if you have an automatic. A cam package and an ls6 intake would net you some very good power.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks so much for the replies... Great info!! I'm in a steep learning curve, but I'm lovin every minute. I'm right now gonna keep up the research and try to put all the pieces together... Here's what i'm thinking about first:

1. Keep the LS6 intake since everyone says it's pretty great and I won't have to fool with it.

2. Change to a larger Throttle Body that will mate up to the LS6 intake (any suggestions here????)

3. New MAF sensor without the screen for higher flow (any suggestions here??)

4. Get a 'mild' CAM that will mate up with the LS6 intake and stock heads. Will prob change valve springs and rods

5. Larger rear end and new torque converter from the suggestions above (thanks again).

Do you think if I get all the steps above taken care of, will this make a 'Driveable' somwhat stable badass street car??? Thanks again for all your help
Old 04-27-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by prowan
1. Keep the LS6 intake since everyone says it's pretty great and I won't have to fool with it.
It's good enough for now
2. Change to a larger Throttle Body that will mate up to the LS6 intake (any suggestions here????)
They are the same size, porting your stocker will help a little.
3. New MAF sensor without the screen for higher flow (any suggestions here??)
Dont need it
4. Get a 'mild' CAM that will mate up with the LS6 intake and stock heads. Will prob change valve springs and rods
Do your research here, most get a small cam and hate that they didn't go bigger, yet some go to big.
5. Larger rear end and new torque converter from the suggestions above (thanks again).
Stall is the way to go. Gears will help make it more drivable with the stall. Lots of options here. Do more research.
Do you think if I get all the steps above taken care of, will this make a 'Driveable' somwhat stable badass street car??? Thanks again for all your help
Take care of #5 and you'll be good for a while. You'll have to have to to really benefit from a cam anyway, so just start with it.

Jon
Old 04-27-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Also look at the FTRA or similar to get an idea on what to do with the intake. Possibly even box in your FIPK.