Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crap! Need Advice, broke an Intake bolt off in the head!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crap! Need Advice, broke an Intake bolt off in the head!

Was finishing up my LS1 to LS6 intake swap this morning. Everything was going pretty smooth, I didn't even break the oil pressure sending unit! So I have the LS1howto instructions sitting there in front of me and begin to tighten down the bolts in the order that they recommend. Using a torque wrench, I tighten all of them down to 44lbs as suggested. Then I begin to go back over all of them and tighten to 89lbs. I am on #10 ( the front passenger side bolt ) and begin turning. I know it was not cross-threaded because it had gone in with ease during hand-tightening and 44lb. torque. I am getting close to 89lbs and snap!!! I thought the plastic had broken. I look all around and down see anything broke.....then I put the wrench back onto the bolt and it is loose. I grab the bolt and it pulls straight out! It broke on about the 3rd thread, so I know it still has threads connecting the intake to the heads, but what the hell?

What can be done to fix this? How much will this cost? If I wasn't planning on replacing the Valve springs during a cam swap this summer I wouldn't be too concerned right now.

NEED ADVICE!!!!!

Thanks
Travis
Old 04-26-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

I think they are supposed to be 89 inch lbs man. I would remove the intake and use an easy out and see if you can get it out. Def dont tighten to 89 ft lbs.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its inch pounds not foot pounds...
Old 04-26-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

wow, holy crap...Try the easy out like 95greenZ suggested, but be prepared to remove those heads and take them to machine shop.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 95GreenZ28
I think they are supposed to be 89 inch lbs man. I would remove the intake and use an easy out and see if you can get it out. Def dont tighten to 89 ft lbs.
I appreciate the suggestions! I didn't think I ever stated foot lbs. If I had tightened all of them to foot lbs. I probably would have snapped all of them.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Banned

Well you need to remove the intake and pull that broken bolt. If there is enough of stub sticking out you can just use some vise grips and back it out. Other wise your looking at an easy out. Some peope hate easy outs, I've never had an issue with them. The trick is to keep it all straight. the hole and the eo
Old 04-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Thanks 99blancoSS. I think that is what I am going to try first, just not today. I am too frustrated. The intake is sealed down, so I am going to leave it alone until I have the time and desire to pull everything back off. I finished putting everything back together and started it up and took it out for a run. No leaks or any unusual noises. Ran great and I can definitely feel a difference!

Will the easy out work on the intake as well?

Thanks

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Well you need to remove the intake and pull that broken bolt. If there is enough of stub sticking out you can just use some vise grips and back it out. Other wise your looking at an easy out. Some peope hate easy outs, I've never had an issue with them. The trick is to keep it all straight. the hole and the eo
Old 04-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Banned

Not sure what you mean by work on the intake.. do you mean reach though the intake to the bolt? No, it wont, you'll need to expose it as best you can. Its not easy to drill down the center either but its a semi weak bolt so you should be able to get it.