Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug install question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark plug install question

Changing the oil on my car, figured it was a good time to add QTP LT headers

So since I was doing that I figured I would change the spark plugs as well.

Anyhow I popped off the coil packs and then the spark plug wire, and driver side spark plugs (do the passenger side tomorrow, it was getting dark)

Anyhow I was talking to my dad and he was telling me to make sure I put the wires back on the same way I took them off....Stupid thing of me though is I just pulled them off, forgot what they looked like, but I am 75% sure they just plug into the above slot on the coil pack.

So 1) Am I right in assuming that the spark plug wire goes from the spark plug and directly above to the closest coil pack hole, or is there some pattern?

and 2) My dad was talking to me about gapping the plugs. I got NGK TR55 plugs, I figure to have 320 rwhp in my A4 when the LT install is done (+20 rwhp fair to assume?) My car started at 280 rwhp bone stock, do I need to change the gap on the TR55s, or did NGK gap them to where it'll be fine on my car.

Thanks in advance!

BTW the header install is going pretty good, I got the Y pipe off, and driver side header off.....Took me forever to get the passenger side coil pack off until I realized I should be using a different tool to get in there, finally got that punk off and tomorrow i'll drain and oil and remove the dipstick so I can get to the final header bolt on the passenger side.

BTW does anyone have a write-up on LT installs, I am kind of winging it I guess
Old 08-03-2003, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Spark plug install question

Naw, the coil packs are in the exact order of the cylinders. Not only that, but the TR55s come pre-gapped so you don't have to worry about it. Hope that helps!
Old 08-04-2003, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Spark plug install question

helps a lot, I wasn't in the mood to start gapping and stuff. Good, now my dad can rest easy when I finish the spark plug change.

Anyone have a write up on header installs?