Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Modification to my 98 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First Modification to my 98 Trans Am

I have been reading posts on this forum for about a month now and finally bought an LS1 powered car about 2 weeks ago. The car is completely stock except for wear items (tires,fluids,etc).It looks like for my first mod I would like to get a TSP induction lid.I am looking at their site and see they have a Package for a lid,85mm MAF, and smooth Bellows for $320. This price seems solid considering it would more to purc hase them seperately. Is that a good buy for my first mod or should I just get the lid and a QTP cut out? I ask this because I know alot of people say leave the MAF alone until your making serious power. Well, I plan on making serious power (380+rwhp) in the next 1.5years.

Thank for the help.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

Default Re: First Modification to my 98 Trans Am

I say get the lid and cut out. I wouldn't mess with the MAF (especially with your A4) or bother with the bellows, they're probably more a PITA than anything. The QTP seems to be a pretty neat mod and the lid is proven. You'd probably save some cash up for a torque convertor going this route too.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:56 AM
TECH Addict

Same advice here, fotget the bellows and maf.

Go with a lid and the QTEC cutout.
Since your an A4 like me, you can do some of the stuff I have done.
order in which I have done them.
MTI lid
FTRA (fast toys ram air)
Corsa catback
QTP LT headers
(all very basic stuff)

Next inline is
torque convertor
Qtec cutout

Also you could throw in a few suspension part when you feel like doing them (i.e. SFCs, LCAs, PHR, blah blah blah)

If you really wanna turn that car into a beast get a torque convertor 1st....I went with the heaaders 1st though because of no particular reason.

lol, also very important. TIRES!!!! Your won't be going anywhere fast without some sticky tires.

When your done with that stuff then you can start playing with cams, and nitrous, and heads and so on IMHO.

Oh yeah, since you have an A4 forget about the HP #'s, they mean about as much as the paper they are written on. You want a high HP car, buy an M6. You could be turning 320rwhp and running low 12's with an A4 with the proper components. Reason why I say this is because you put in a TC, you'll probably loose some peak HP, but gain .5 in the 1/4 and put a permanant grin on your face
Old 08-04-2003, 01:23 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

do the bellows...but do it for $5. Go to a contractor hardware store (lowe's/home depot) and buy a rubber pvc pipe coupler. comes with 2 clamps also. nuke it for about 20 seconds to soften it up.... put it on the throttle body...attatch MAF to it...use the whole thing to flex it into place with the lid. over time it will shape and stretch to what it should be. $7 or less. port and polish your throttle body...tok me about 1.5 hours...spent $25 on supplies to do the job....beneath your air filter cut the plastic to as wide of as you can(but leave a little strip in the center for support). you can even cut the metal beneath the fron of it if you want.. its not really doing much except supporting the airbox. build an oil catch can from pvc pipe...caus eit will eat oil and dirty up the inside of the engine. put on a different exhaust...I like the Loudmouth..check out my recordings---- https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...mp;PHPSESSID=. buy some firestone sz50-ep tires...they stick better than anything else I've tried--get em on www.tirerack.com for around $150-$180 each. 85 mm maf might be an issue with an a4... go get tuned air/fuel tuned so you dont stress the transmission. most importantly...get a good lawyer...you'll need one to help get you out of tickets you get while having fun.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

converter, tranny cooler,& shift kit.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, I just sent a check off to a board member(lafngas94z) for a SY3500.I am going to order a tranny cooler and a lid in the next couple of days.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That was a very good choice...Now you can go to the track to see how much your 60' and ET's dropped. I saw a huge difference with the Vig. 3200 I have in my car!
Old 08-08-2003, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

I really like this car. Makes me wish I didn't just dump 3k into my bike! I hardly ride the thing now.If this converter makes as much difference as you guys say I might have to park the bike for the rest of the year or sell it.