Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Externally balanced 382 stroker + ASP pulley???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Externally balanced 382 stroker + ASP pulley???

Hi guys,

I am currently in the process of getting my engine rebuilt as a 382 stroker by COME Racing in Australia and we are using their locally produced Nodular iron crank, steel rods and I am getting forged pistons made.

This stroker kit has only just become available and mine will be the first engine built with it. I recently bought an ASP pulley (the new SFI approved one) and I am wondering whether I can run this pulley with the stroker if we are planning to externally balance the engine.

Seeing that the new ASP pulley is a harmonic balancer in itself would it be good enough to externally balance the engine or would I need to run another balancer with it like the ATI super damper.

Also, is it possible to run an aftermarker balancer with an ASP pulley or do I need to return to the standard pulley to be able to run a balancer.

Any help is appreciated,
Brett.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Default Re: Externally balanced 382 stroker + ASP pulley???

I may be wrong about this because things change...but last year when the question came up it was explained to me...one has to use the custom balancer for the externally balanced crank and the ATI or ASP can't be used. Since this was before the crank was actually made my info might not be accurate for your situation.

I still don't understand why they are going with external balance on this crank.