Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loudmouth with dual QTEC's

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loudmouth with dual QTEC's

Hey everyone! I'm new here and will most likely be needing a lot of help. I don't know much about cars at all, but I would love to learn. Anyways, my question is, if I were to get dual QTEC's put on before my cats, would it sound much different than just the loudmouth on it's own. I have heard that it won't sound much different at all and that I would most likely be disappointed. I really want my car to sound loud and badass. The reason I'm asking this is because I heard the recording that soundengineer made of his car with the loudmouth and gutted cats, and I was thinking my car would sound just as loud with 2 QTECs placed before the cats(thus eliminating the cats). Soundengineer, man, your car is the nicest car I have ever heard! Good job! Thanks for any help!
Old 08-04-2003, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Loudmouth with dual QTEC's

Welcome to the site

Due to the cats being directly off of the exhaust manifolds, you really can't put cutouts before them, unless you relocated them farther back in the exhaust. Probably more trouble than it's worth.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks man! Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it sound really loud and mean?
Old 08-04-2003, 09:16 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

glad you like the exhaust....I'll be going to true duals when my headers arrive.... so my LOUDMOUTH will be for sale!!!...screw the cutouts...too sh!tty sounding. and thank you for the sound compliment... it is my JOB to make things sound good. and the loud mouth rumbles ...the cutouts just craaaaccckkkk.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not if you do dual cut outs correctly..

https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...amp;PHPSESSID=
Old 08-04-2003, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

The loudmouth is basically an open exhaust system so your $$ that would go toward cutouts would be better spent on other things...........
Old 08-04-2003, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

You might want to try replacing the resonator in your loudmouth with a dynomax bullet (dynomouth conversion). It sounds awesome!

After that if you need it louder, cutting/gutting your cats will definetly do that.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I think I understand alot better now. Now that I've been thinking about it, do you think I would get a louder, better sound with gutted cats or with an offroad y-pipe? If it's the same, then I would save myself the cash and just get my cats taken off.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Do you think it would be louder with a dynomouth, or keep the loudmouth, and just get rid of the cats and get an O2 sensor? I'm also considering getting headers in the near future. I'm either going to get Kook's headers or QTP headers. I can't really decide just yet. Sorry for all the questions, but I can't resist the urge to ask whether it would be cheaper for an offroad y-pipe or just to get rid of my current cats? Thanks for all the help, everyone! I really appreciate everything!!
Old 08-04-2003, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't worry about asking questions, bro, that's what the site is for.

It would be a lot cheaper to cut your cats than it would to get an Off road Y. Either way you'll need O2 simulators. The ORY will flow better, but if you are still up in the air as to the future of your exhaust system, you may want to commit now to as little as you can.

Personally, I would cut the cats now (since you'll need the O2 sims later if you go with an ORY) Then when you get your headers, decide on the rest of the exhaust.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I would not gut the cats or use off road pipes with the stock manifolds. I ran off road pipes for a while with and with out a cut out. It tends to be very raspy.

With LT headers and dual cut outs, the exhaust can be very quite, running through cats with them closed like mine does, and mean and throughty with them open.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

Hmm....but I just heard that in order for me to have dual QTEC's before the cats that I would have to relocate it further back into the exhaust and it would be more trouble than it was worth. I talked to someone from QTP and they said that I would be very disappointed with the QTECs. I'm kind of confused
Old 08-05-2003, 01:59 AM
Staging Lane

TTT
Old 08-05-2003, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

You will have to relocate the cats if you want to keep them and run QTEC's.
If you want to save money just get a cutout in your stock cat back which is about $40 vs $300 for LM. I have mac headers w/orp and lm. I really like how it sounds but the cops in CA are too much at times and makes me think about putting a stock cat back on and run 1 or dual cut outs.
If you want to hear what this set up sounds like
right click and save
http://www.imagestation.com/video/vi...00716&dl=1
Old 08-05-2003, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

I've already had my Loudmouth installed for almost a year now. I've read about high flow cats, but would they give me the same sound as gutted cats? Thanks everyone for all of your help! This site is great!
Old 08-05-2003, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

AFAIK, high flow cats won't change the sound TOO much.

As for cutting vs. gutting, if you ask 10 different guys you'll probably get 10 different answers. Some say that cutting tends to rasp while gutting will give you a nice sound. Some say they had no cats with stock manifolds and no rasp, then when they got headers they developed a rasp -- and some say the exact opposite. With something as subjective as sound quality you will never get a solid answer.

What we DO know is that the flow is better with cut cats (and a straight pipe in their place) as opposed to gutted cats (due to the irregular shaped hollow chamber of the cat body)

The only way you're going to know for sure is to do it. At least if you cut off your cats, you can keep them and have them welded back on if you don't like how it sounds.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you SOOOO MUCH!!!! That is all that I needed to know. Thanks everyone(especially NightHawk)! Hopefully I can help out around the board with some opinions and what not.