Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control/TC box or module

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control/TC box or module

Today while trouble shooting my car we found that the throttle body blade was not opening 100 percent. It was only going to 59 percent. I have an aftermarket 90mm TB with and extra return spring mounted to the air lid frame. What we found was the spring was overpowering a spring in the Cruise/TC box and the cable was slipping back. Has anyone experienced this problem? Did they replace the box? I Think i am going with a non Traction Control cable and go directly from Peddle to the Throttle body. It is mostly a track car now and i will not need the cruise. Has anyone done this mod?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did it for similar sort of reasons, the TCS pulley
cluster was limiting cable draw to less than would
pull the 85mm blade fully open.

The cable swap goes cleanly enough, nothing tricky
about it. I think the two cables set me back about
$70 all told at the dealer.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Yes mine is a 90mm and it only opened 59 percent with the return spring on, i put one with less tension on for now.
I need two cables? I just ordered one from the dealer, for a non TC camaro. Which other cable do i need? I got the one that goes from the pedal to the TB i believe. That is what the dealer told me from the picture. Do you have stock numbers? Thanks for the reply
Old 05-01-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ping2day
Yes mine is a 90mm and it only opened 59 percent with the return spring on, i put one with less tension on for now.
I need two cables? I just ordered one from the dealer, for a non TC camaro. Which other cable do i need? I got the one that goes from the pedal to the TB i believe. That is what the dealer told me from the picture. Do you have stock numbers? Thanks for the reply
I am not sure on that either. I thought there was only one cable for the non TCS camaro option NW9 I think.

I am looking at the picture and I just dont see two part numbers. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed; 05-01-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Regular

Yes i got the one cable installed last night without a problem. I was just asking because jimmyblue mentioned two cables. I started the car with just the one and it seems fine, no codes. Now the TB goes past open a bit, i will have to put something on the bumpstop.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:21 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe he also got the cruise control setup for a non-tcs car.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 05-02-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

Could be thanks for the advice/help. I will see how it runs tonight at the track if it does not rain.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
Maybe he also got the cruise control setup for a non-tcs car.
Yup that is what he meant. The NW9 has 3 cables. Non TCS has 1 cable. I don't run CC so it confused me. The cruise mod is heavy as hell.

I see what he meant now. I am doing this mod soon as my traction control motor is out. I am tired of fixing ABS related issues on a performace car!
Old 05-03-2008, 01:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hey scott, what PN did you get? Mike called me about this for your car. I had ASR/CC and have it off. Just ran the 1 cable, there in 2 PN depending on your TB cam. Your car should have the 98-00 cables, But I think your FRE TB has the larger cam on the TB. I can't tell in this pic.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18...7builds004.jpg

But there 2 PN for the 1 cable, form the pedal to the TB. The last numbers are xxxxx59 for the 98-00 TB and its xxxxx60 for the 01-02. I put the 01-02 on my car and it fit fine.

Did you get to make any passes today? it was rainedf all day here in rochester, but it started to dry out right beofre the sun went down, I wanted to try to get to NYI but didnt.

edit I just found some more info on this
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=cable (has GM pics)
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=cable
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=cable
Old 05-03-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

I got the one you quoted and the dealer also ending in 60. It did fit fine. It pulls the TB blade all the way open but a little past. I will have to put something on the bumpstop. What should i use?
We got rained out yesterday, the track notified us at 3pm so we weren't on the road yet. The raindate is tomorrow. Hopefully i can get there.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

Hey Studderin. I got out to the track today. That was not the problem. It is still shifting into 2nd way too early off the line. I bogged and shifted my first two time trials. The third one i ran in first and manually shifted the car and it ran great, 7.5 again with 3/4 tank of gas and 50lbs in the trunk. I did it again in Eliminations and won one round with a 7.5. The next round i shifted it too well and ran a 7.45 and broke out. So the car runs fine when shifted manually. I think there is a shift point problem in his tune or maybe shifting on MPH Too early or something. I need a cheap shift light quick this week, if i have to manually shift it, any ideas?. I try and get it up to just off the limiter then hit it with my thumb up one click. Its a little tricky. Tell Mike to give me a call when he gets in tomorrow. Thanks

Last edited by ping2day; 05-04-2008 at 08:36 PM. Reason: missing info