Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to mount engine on holder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to mount engine on holder?

Well I've got my LS1 pulled and I guess I'm confused on where to mount the engine on the engine block holder. The holder I have has 4 adjustable arms. The top 2 arms are adjustable up and down and the bottom 2 arms are adjustable left and right. Am I supposed to bolt the holder into the rear of the engine on the bellhousing holes and heads or turn it around and mount it somewhere on the front? Anyone have any suggestions? I want to make sure I do this right, I don't want the engine to be unbalanced then decide to tip the engine block holder over.

Thanks so much!
Old 05-04-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Halloran
Well I've got my LS1 pulled and I guess I'm confused on where to mount the engine on the engine block holder. The holder I have has 4 adjustable arms. The top 2 arms are adjustable up and down and the bottom 2 arms are adjustable left and right. Am I supposed to bolt the holder into the rear of the engine on the bellhousing holes and heads or turn it around and mount it somewhere on the front? Anyone have any suggestions? I want to make sure I do this right, I don't want the engine to be unbalanced then decide to tip the engine block holder over.

Thanks so much!
Is it an engine stand or a cradle? The cradle type goes on motor mounts and to the back of the block. The stand type, you want to bolt the engine mounting plate to the back of the block, then carefully hoist it up and slide it into the stand.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

I think I got it figured out. Took a while to get it all lined up but this is what I ended up with.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That may work, but I wouldn't do it that way. When I mounted my engine, on each side there are two bolt holes that are vertically in line one above the other, and they are parallel to the bolt holes on the other side. And be sure to use grade 8 bolts.

EDIT: Like so:

Last edited by ss.slp.ls1; 05-04-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

I was going to put them in the 2 holes parallel to each other on both sides but the bottom holes on each side of the block seemed pretty thin (thinner than the top holes that go deep into the block) and I didn't know if they would be safe enough to hold the engine up without cracking. Now that I know I'll do it that way. Seems more balanced...

Thanks!