General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Got pulled over twice in 15 minutes in Nowata Co. Oklahoma for exhaust. Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Got pulled over twice in 15 minutes in Nowata Co. Oklahoma for exhaust. Help

A buddy of mine was on his way to the track saturday evening and got pulled over twice within 15 miles for tint and loud exhaust. This is the third time he's been pulled over for loud exhaust. They told him anything but stock exhaust is illegal and next time hes getting a ticket. This is rediculous! I need something to prove that aftermarket exhaust is not illegal. His set may be illegal (offroad x and magnaflow) but he asked about the systems that say 50 state legal and they said that just means their legal to buy but not to put on your car. Does anyone else have any experince with this bullshit! They never looked at his system just said it was illegal because it wasnt stock. Anyone have any type of proof that next time we could say look. Thanks
Old 05-04-2008, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

Also I forgot to mention these are the super cops who pulled another one of my buddies over for his fog lights. Said they were illegal to have on. I need something to tell these wanna be heros to
Old 05-04-2008, 10:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd move.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I belive it is really up to the discretion of the police . I think it is over X amount of decibles but doubt all police have a DB meter on them . Also , they are not suppose to be able to hear your car from X distance away . Again though , hearing varies on everyone as I can hear tires of vehicles or just the air it is moving over the engine . Around here bikes are big like choppers and hawgs and man they are pretty loud even though I never see those types of bikes pulled over .
You can try to find the legal decible level go to Radio Shack and buy a DB meter and show the police .
Old 05-04-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

move to KY - I ran straight headers for months with just some turn downs and never had an issue!!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
I'd move.
Haha yea me too
Old 05-04-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

That is your typical okie dumb **** small town lawdog hard at work. The small town cops in OK suck for the most part, bored with nothing better to do. I have been pulled over for the fog light BS, no ticket, just a warning. That was near McAlester, OK.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by snake charmer
I belive it is really up to the discretion of the police . I think it is over X amount of decibles but doubt all police have a DB meter on them . Also , they are not suppose to be able to hear your car from X distance away . Again though , hearing varies on everyone as I can hear tires of vehicles or just the air it is moving over the engine . Around here bikes are big like choppers and hawgs and man they are pretty loud even though I never see those types of bikes pulled over .
You can try to find the legal decible level go to Radio Shack and buy a DB meter and show the police .

Bikes typically get away with having loud exhaust because it is a safety issue. A loud bike is less likely to get merged into by a mom on her cell phone.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man I love Tulsa, I can drive by cops with my dual cutouts open and they never even look at me. Yeah small towns suck as far as cops are concerned. He either needs to move or make his car quieter.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya dude definatly move into tulsa county or rogers county. You wont have any problems there unless your desturbing the peace after hours and someone calls a complaint on you. And on the upside you will be closer to the track. So its a win win lol. Oh and fwiw i asked a cop if i would get a ticket for running my car on open headers (1975 monte carlo) and he asked me what i had, i told him, and he said i wouldnt get a ticket because they sound good. He also said if i were asking that about my honda he would give me a ticket for it because they sound like ****. So i said thank you and went on my merry way
Old 05-04-2008, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive gotten hassled about this before. I used to have a cobra with o/r x pipe and a magnaflow magnapak catback..it was loud as hell. but i finally got a ticket for it. $75 for the ticket and then 400 on a new exhaust.. and oh man was i pissed I just changed over to stock catback and did a cutout on the Z...used to have a slp loudmouth 1. car has LT's, and o/r y..only got bothered once in the Z when i had the slp on there i dont get it
Old 05-04-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate this kind of stuff. I was with my friend last night in his 07 gt and he was pulled over and given a ticket for his exhuast. He has an off road x and axle back by jba. He didn't even go over 3k so it wasn't that loud.

This is why i don't take my car certain places. I have Lt's dumped duals with dynomax bullets and a 230's cam. I know i'll get pulled over in a hurry!
Old 05-04-2008, 02:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
Bikes typically get away with having loud exhaust because it is a safety issue. A loud bike is less likely to get merged into by a mom on her cell phone.
that is just bullshit..... we should be able to use the same excuse! the louder the car, the safer it is for other drivers, lol!!!
Old 05-04-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
that is just bullshit..... we should be able to use the same excuse! the louder the car, the safer it is for other drivers, lol!!!
I agree. What is one excuse for other humans not equivalent for the other humans in terms of safety? You could argue people wouldn't get cut off as often changing lanes if you can hear it coming.

I also got a ticket in Stillwater last summer on my old T/A. it had a cam, long tubes, ORY & slp loudmouth 1. I argued with the cop for about 5 minutes explaining why some stock vehicles are louder than other stock vehicles of the same make (i.e. special edition vehicles). Like SLP & GMMG who done a lot of the special edition options for G.M., those exhaust systems are NOT from the factory. The next day I went and talked with the owner of Mr. Muffler here in town about it. Obviously he does legal work or else he would be out of business. He said the main issue is moving the cats, whether you move them back or delete them it's illegal. But if you had stock manifolds, cats, and an aftermarket cat-back (slp/magnaflow/etc) it is not illegal. However some city ordinances can have their own local laws (decibel levels) that could justify it... especially in heavy-densed residential or business areas.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Veteran

You are from Coffeeville..... try to go to Mokan in MO???
Old 05-05-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

It might be taking some risk, but I'd take a ticket, and take it to court. These cops are harrassing people and they know it because they don't have the ***** to write a ticket. Next time something clearly off the wall comes down like that, ask for a ticket so you can let the judge decide. Just make sure you have your ducks in a row when you go to court.

Cops in California are nowhere near that bad.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
You mean getting away with being loud as in a no chase policy or ?
Being loud is not going to keep someone that is not paying attention to what they are doing . My old man spent 3 days in a comma from some lady not even looking while backing up .

Last edited by snake charmer; 05-05-2008 at 01:19 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-05-2008, 01:02 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
That is your typical okie dumb **** small town lawdog hard at work. The small town cops in OK suck for the most part, bored with nothing better to do.
Except harass innocent citizens. It's the Sheriff Billy Bob factor. I always feel relieved once I cross over the KS state line.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

Yea we go to mokan too. The drive to Mokan seems like it takes forever though. I know that moving or deleting the cats is illegal but these guys are arguing that ANY aftermarket exhaust is illigal and they would give a ticket. So a flowmaster catback that says 50 state legal is not legal according to them. I agree on the bikes. They shouldnt be able to have straight pipes.

I wonder about requesting a db test next time. I heard it can be done only by ceritfied officers and a certified tester. I'm sure these cops dont have one or are they certified and their opinion shouldnt be enough to give a ticket. If its to loud prove it. If they cant than leave us alone. I was thinkin there was an article about exhaust and nitrous in a recent gm high tech. Anyone remember what it said?
Old 05-05-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I never had a problem in OKC going to Thunder Valley. I didn't know there was anywhere in OK that outlawed tint either.

Quick Reply: Got pulled over twice in 15 minutes in Nowata Co. Oklahoma for exhaust. Help