Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting together a QUIET high flowing exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 02:27 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Putting together a QUIET high flowing exhaust...

I'm trying to put together an exhaust system for my '98 Formula... been shopping for headers and a catback system. My main concern is how I can go about building a high flowing exhaust without it being ungodly loud. I know some people really love the sound of a LS1 with open headers, and I do in small doses, but I could never drive one. Not to mention that I still wanna retain some of that "mistaken for a V6" stealth.

The car is currently almost completely stock... the only mod is a Dynomax muffler. Sounds really nice now, but I'm afraid that as soon as I put headers on it, it's gonna be considerably louder. I could handle it a little louder, but not much.

The catback I'm looking at is the Corsa. I was planning on installing a QTP cutout for the track. Eventually I will do heads and a cam, but that's probably at least a year down the road.

So combined with a set of long tube headers, what kind of volume am I gonna be looking at from this exhaust?
Old 08-05-2003, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Putting together a QUIET high flowing exhaust...

Why not put the stock cat back on and open the cut-out at the track?
Old 08-05-2003, 02:55 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Cuz I wanna upgrade the exhaust system... Want something that looks a little better out back, and wanna start building up the car to be ready for future hp mods down the road.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:05 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SLP DUAL/DUAL. Flows great, quiet when it should be quiet.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dual/Dual with a QTEC is what i run. Quiet with high flow and loud with the flip of a switch
Old 08-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

if you run with cats, your car will not be considerably louder with headers. That is of course, under 'normal' driving.

going with no cats is what will change the exhaust sound the most. Louder and raspier.

I'm basing this on cars that I've heard in person.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:12 PM
teh PuRpL3z

I'm planning on running hi-flow cats.... I was gonna buy headers, y-pipe with cats, cutout, and a catback.

Do you think the Corsa would be any louder than the SLP setup? I really like the look of the Corsa a little better.

So what kind of headers do you think would be the best choice? Price isn't really an issue, I just want something good that will last a while.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:16 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,097 Likes on 721 Posts

There are a lot of good headers out there.

For the catback, I think the Corsa is very sharp looking but it's a dead giveway that you have a Formula.

I'd get a singlet outlet muffler and get a slash cut tip like a V6 you will slay them!
Old 08-05-2003, 03:24 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Well, I have to admit that having been out of the LS1 tech arena for about 3 years has kinda dulled my knowledge, so I'm trying to relearn everything.

The headers I have been considering are the MAC setup with the y-pipe & cats. Although I heard that some other company is making what used to be Grots... but I dunno who that is.

Old 08-05-2003, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

if you want a header that will last a long time, I'd stick with stainless steel.

as far as I know, QTP and SLP are the only stainless steel headers available.

QTP's are the 'formely known as Grotts' headers
Old 08-05-2003, 03:51 PM
11 Second Club

MACs are midlength headers, and their y-pipe/cat setup sucks. QTP and Kooks are the hot-ticket headers right now. I own JetHots, and they are great for the price, but they could be better. A y-pipe w/ cats setup will probably have to be custom made, I'm not sure if the Mufflex Y will fit the QTP/Kooks headers. The quietest exhaust will be as mentioned above--the SLP dual/dual.

I'm trying the whole stealth thing in my Formula, but its still pretty loud with the ORY and Hooker catback, but the GT2-3 does idle like stock...just sounds a little meaner when its reved up!
Old 08-05-2003, 03:59 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a lot of good headers out there.

For the catback, I think the Corsa is very sharp looking but it's a dead giveway that you have a Formula.

I'd get a singlet outlet muffler and get a slash cut tip like a V6 you will slay them!
I've got slash cut tips nicely tucked high. SS badges, lope and the loud-*** Spintech kinda give things away though. At least it keeps the ricers guessing.
Old 08-05-2003, 04:15 PM
teh PuRpL3z

I was looking at QTP's website, and they seem to offer a y-pipe setup with cats for their headers.

A bit spendy, but it looks pretty nice.... although I think it's a little odd that they have the y-pipe with cats labeled as "off road".
Old 08-05-2003, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Longtube headers of your choice, through some of the new random-tech matrix high flow cats (supposed to produce same HP as no cats) and out a slp dual dual or 2OTL catback. Ultimate flow and probably be very docile. Ive run my Corsa system with FLP's high flow cats and it was wayyy too quiet for me so maybe the Corsa would work for you also.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

I was looking at QTP's website, and they seem to offer a y-pipe setup with cats for their headers.

A bit spendy, but it looks pretty nice.... although I think it's a little odd that they have the y-pipe with cats labeled as "off road".
FWIW, my guess is that they label this set up "off-road" because according to Federal law, you cannot replace or relocate the cats unless they are defective or after a certain mileage. Maybe someone who knows more specifics about this could chime in and clarify...
Old 08-05-2003, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dual/Dual is probably you best bet for quiet.

Cat's really quiet the car down, you might be able to get away with a mufflex 3" single outlet for the V6 look
Old 08-05-2003, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was trying to accomplish the same goals with my exhaust system- this is what I ended up with: Grot LT headers, 3" custom y-pipe with Carsound cats, 3" Magnaflow catback. I had an SLP dual-dual, and it was too quiet with cats. The Magnaflow is only a little louder, but it sounds alot deeper and more muscular. You can find a Magnaflow catback for around $300 if you shop around.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:55 PM
Banned

Its labeled "Off Road" so we dont get in trouble with the emissions police. Any part that is not 50 state approved is considered off road. Just a legal matter.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

put a turbo on the car....that will "wake" it up and "quiet" it down at the same time
Old 08-05-2003, 11:30 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Naw, turbos are way too spendy for me right now, and I really don't feel like buying a new motor quite yet... cuz I don't think this one would withstand forced induction very long.