Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Tubes cause the LS1 to burn OIL? Common Knowledge??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Long Tubes cause the LS1 to burn OIL? Common Knowledge??

Just thinking about some LT's and I have been searching forms trying to find a clear answer.. So How many of you guys have LT's and DON'T have a issue with your car using oil and smoking. The reason I ask is I have an higher mileage WS6 that is in EXCELLENT shape being that I am one of the most **** people about my car. Doesn't use a drop of oil and doesn't smoke.
I have custom true duals on stock manifolds and stock cats. It sounds great but I hear LT Headers make em sound even better. But I couldn't deal with my Bird burning oil and having to ADD oil in between changes would be ghetto to me because it was instilled in my head when I was a child that if an engine uses or burns oil then there is something wrong with it. So guys be honest and help me with my decision.. If the MAJORITY of LS1 drivers burn oil and smoke regularly after LT headers.. then headers aren't for me.. Please keep in mind that I know fingerprints, oil and coatings are things that "burn off" after an header install and I'm not refering to Residual Smoke. I'm talking
about long term LS1 Block oil burning.. Thank you in an advance for your help.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is not true in any way. The exhaust can't make an engine burn oil. I have headers on my vette also and it didn't make it burn oil. If somebody told you that I would not listen to a word they say ever again.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've had LT's for about 10k now with no smoke from the engine or exhaust. After LT's, the only things I noticed different were hp, sound, and running a little rich. I smell fumes, but they're from my dumps and lack of tune.

As for oil, I'm not sure. I don't see why it'd make you burn oil though, except for the fact that you'll be lead footing more often, getting more blow by? Honestly though, I don't know.

IMO get the LT's. It'll sound and feel a lot better. You'll love it.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:56 AM
TECH Addict

Longtubes causing the LS1 to burn oil? That's the dumbest thing I've heard, next to Mustangs being chick magnets.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:08 AM
Banned

i had Kooks LT's installed when i was in FL then drove all the way to Cali (2700 miles), and had no issues with oil being burnt or used up.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
Longtubes causing the LS1 to burn oil? That's the dumbest thing I've heard, next to Mustangs being chick magnets.
Thank you guys for your replies, not trying to just be silly or dumb. but if you do search on here. You will see why I am asking this as there a quite a few threads with LS1 owners whom said all there smoking and using oil issues started AFTER the LT install.. and pretty much no one that replied said anything that helped the users. The replies where like "mine did the same thing" and one ended with someone saying "my mechanic said these engines are prone to burning oil".. which is "hogwash" or course..
Old 05-07-2008, 01:47 AM
Teching In

Please continue to chime in on this LS1 people, Thanks
Old 05-07-2008, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

In my experience all LSx's use a little bit of oil in between changes.. But seriously what engine doesn't use a little oil when your going WOT daily
Old 05-07-2008, 08:34 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Internet myth. My car uses some oil - which is not necessarily indicative of a problem, contrary to what your momma told you - but it didn't increase with LT's.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Its impossible for the longtube install to cause more oil burning or the car to start. If it does happen, its a random thing.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Won't burn oil BUT it will run rich as all hell (without a tune of course)
Old 05-07-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mine doesnt burn any oil but it only has 25k miles on it
Old 05-07-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When you start burning oil its an internal engine problem. Headers do nothing but bolt to the head to release exhaust gasses. There's is no way shape or form headers can make your car burn oil. Not trying to flame you, but if you know anything about how a engine works its really a ridiculus question. There's no oil in the headers. There's no oil around the headers. And its not gonna suck the oil out of the motor like a straw and burn it either.

Note: Air filters and CAI setups won't make it smoke either. Just for future reference.

Good luck.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:15 AM
11 Second Club

I wouldnt say headers make them smoke. however if you swapped headers without a tune and the car happened to go VERY fat. You could possible get black smoke from too much fuel or wash down the rings but I have LT's on the stock tune and my car runs great no smoke at all. Ls1 engines do sometimes smoke a little because if their pcv system tends suck a small amount of oil.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine burns no oil but if you have a high blowby situation, more
cylinder pressure (which is what makes more torque) is going to
make more of that, carry it out the PCV hoses and into the intake.
The unchecked PCV uptake line has positive pressure at WOT if
you have any blowby and the oil fog can flow as fast as the hose
lets it.

Smoke at WOT may just be a tuning problem, depends if it's blue
(oil) or black (mixture, like COT fuel-dump).
Old 05-07-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Mine burns very little oil, even after headers and a cam. I added a half quart the other day and that was unusual for my car.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

I've had my LT's on for around 20,000 and it doesn't burn anymore oil with them than it did with stock manifolds.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had 0 problems. though it does have the occasional puff of unburned gas that will nearly knock you out if you catch a whiff.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rocksws6
When you start burning oil its an internal engine problem. Headers do nothing but bolt to the head to release exhaust gasses. There's is no way shape or form headers can make your car burn oil. Not trying to flame you, but if you know anything about how a engine works its really a ridiculus question. There's no oil in the headers. There's no oil around the headers. And its not gonna suck the oil out of the motor like a straw and burn it either.

Note: Air filters and CAI setups won't make it smoke either. Just for future reference.

Good luck.
Thanks guys, and RockWS6 I know you trying to be funny(AF and CAI)ha ha pal.. but I'll let it go this time lol.. Of course I know how an engine works.. but it was an honest question to an subject that I found in the search. I'm just trying to be informed.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Just having a little fun with ya.

Quick Reply: Long Tubes cause the LS1 to burn OIL? Common Knowledge??