Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Intake install questions?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 Intake install questions?!?

Hi everyone I have had my LS6 intake sitting here for months and am finally back from school to get it put on. I am going to bring it to my mechanic who has done a majority of work on my car including changing my engine out.

My question is what parts am I going to need to complete this swap so everything goes smooth? Keep in mind I have a 98 SS with pacesetter longtubes with EGR. I know I need to get blockoff plates for the headers but what else. Also where is the best place to purchase the plates and anything else needed? Thanks so much
Old 05-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

I just finished my LS6 intake install yesterday. You will need to buy a new coolant cross-over pipe(front)/plugs for the back or knock off the tabs on the bottom of your LS6 intake so that it will clear the LS1 crossover tubes.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

I got my EGR plates from Speed Inc. there like 6 bucks or something. That's all you'll need aside from what way your going to do the coolant tubes. I just ground out the tabs and left the stock crossover in there.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i made my own block off plates with some metal , drill , magic marker , and some rtv gasket maker .
Old 05-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Clothes pins!! You will understand when you get those back bolts loose and go to pull the intake out. Also, to avoid breaking the Oil Pressure sender like many have, put a hand or a few fingers in the TB port (With TB off obviously) lift up on the front of the intake and take your other hand and lift up and SLOWLY slide out. You will clear the sender. Take caution goin back on. Throw your hand behind the intake before doin anything to get a feel of where this sender is located. Keep your stock steam tubes if you want. I took a small pair of vice grips and snipped each tab off the bottom of the mani then cleaned it up with a dremel. While the intake is off, check the knock sensors for moisture. Go ahead and build a dam around the sensors with some blue RTV or Right Stuff gasket maker. There was a TSB about moisture building up and corroding the sensors. I took right stuff and sealed the KS off all the way around as I have been a victum of a corroded sensor. Make sure your KS harness is goin straight out the back off the valley cover. Some have pinched the harness after bolting down the intake and had to buy a new harness and remove the intake again. Hand tighten the bolts with a ratchet. You don't have to get stupid with these because the seal rings sit tight and seal great unlike an old paper gasket. I just took mine out for a ride today. It was raining so I never got on it. Feels nice and smooth though. Enjoy! Any other questions, we will be happy to lead u in the right direction.

Last edited by grndpndr; 05-07-2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 05-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Teching In

New Intake port gaskets (set of 8) and TB gasket if you don't already have them.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe the intake gaskets are reusable. When you finally loosen all the bolts holding down the intake, use the rubber band trick to hold the bolts up. Basically just get a rubber band and stretch the rubber band around four or so of the bolts to form a square. The rubber bands will hold the bolts in place. Search, I believe there is a pic somewhere.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id go ahead and get the ls6 pipes and plugs. i ground the bottom of my intake down originally and had no problems, but once the milled PRC 2.5's went on, i had to have them
Old 05-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

yea I just ordered the coolant crossover tube kit. I don't think its worth the saftey and the money to save 40 bucks than to just do it correctly! So im going to order the blockoff plates and then hopefully have it installed in the next week or so. Cant wait ill let you know how it goes. Also I am going to get it dyno tuned right after I get the intake on so it will finally be running up to par.