Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new plugs yesterday, strange sound today....

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new plugs yesterday, strange sound today....

so i had the NGK TR55's put in my car yesterday. took it for a test drive and everything was fine.. well this morning i pulled out of my driveway and everytime i was under throttle there was a strange sound coming from the motor... it didnt make this sound at idle or when i wasn't under acceleration... it made this sound for prob a half mile down the road then stopped... on lunch break today i took the car out, and didnt hear the sound.. later on in the day when leaving work the car made the sound again for prob half a mile to a mile after pulling out of the parking lot... the sound is hard to explain, it wasnt really like a ticking sound and it wasnt real loud... i guess the only thing i can come up with is that is was like weird purring type sound.... is this just cause of the new plugs breaking in or what??
Old 05-08-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might be a light miss . just double check your plugs to make sure they are on good . if problem keeps on pull the plugs and look at the porcelain for small cracks as they are known to break easy . sometimes a box can drop or a socket touches it in a ceratin spot .
no worries though , it is not going to be anything major .
Old 05-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Launching!

if it's missing at all i can't feel it... i checked the plugs and they all seem to be in good... i can't take them out because i don't have any tools right now...
after driving it tonight i've realized that it only does it when the car has been sitting for awhile and the engine is cold... and it only makes this sound for like a minute or less after pulling out then it stops.... again, it sounds fine at idle but its when i'm on the pedal that maybe its just me but it sounds like its coming from the drivers side too, but idk... they are gapped at .055... could it be that maybe the gap on one of the plugs is off?!
u guys give me your opinions plz

Last edited by brandon_01_ta; 05-09-2008 at 12:23 AM. Reason: added info
Old 05-09-2008, 01:04 AM
Launching!

Since it started after the plugs were installed, it might be a loose plug wire. I would double check the wires at the plugs and coils, just to be sure. The ticking you hear could be electricity arching from a bad connection. Does the car rev fine with no load and run poorly under load?
Old 05-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Launching!

it def has something to do with the plugs, its never made that sound before...
and it's not really a ticking sound... i can't really think of anything to explain it
but yea it revs fine and sounds fine with no load... and it doesnt run poorly under load, theres actually no noticable power loss from what i can tell, i havent ran it hard any tho...
i guess it sounds kinda like a scraping type sound.. its weird
i had a the #6 plug wire come off here recently and the sound it made was nothing like what it's doing now
Old 05-09-2008, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

piston slap?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

sounds like a plug isn't in tight enough. Mine did this to after a plug install and it turned out the that plug had a very small chip in the porcelin. When it went for about 2 miles the noise would stop because the plug would seal correctly. I would pull the plugs out and switch sides. See if the sound moves to the other side of the engine. If it does pull all the plugs and get new ones.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like it could be something with the AIR system. Check the AIR tubes on each side of the engine. Make sure they have both bolts and each has a gasket as well.

Most people unbolt the AIR tubes to do plugs (as did I).
Old 05-10-2008, 12:27 AM
Launching!

i checked the AIR tubes and they are on tight, the gaskets are on too.... the mechanic told me he didn't even unbolt the AIR tubes to do the install, which surprised me...
everything seems to be on tight, so maybe the porcelin is cracked or chipped on one of them?!
why doesn't it make this sound the whole time i'm driving.. cause it only does it through the first 3 or 4 gears...
Old 05-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Launching!

can anybody else give me some opinions?