Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI vs. TSP lid: Which is best

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTI vs. TSP lid: Which is best

O.k. guys I know that this has been beaten to a pulp. But after many post I considered the TSP lid the undisputed king of the hill of lids and the sure first mod for my car. Then out of no where come posts about the MTI getting like 16 horses over the stock lid....so my question is which one should I go with. I know both companies are very reputable. I just want the most performance for my money
Old 08-07-2003, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Default Re: MTI vs. TSP lid: Which is best

Nineball got something like ~16 to 20rwhp with his MTI lid on his 02 SS, he posted it on here somewhere.

Personally, I think Direct Flo has an edge over MTI and TSP probably has an edge over Direct Flo. I'd probably favor the TSP at the moment for a new lid.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

I'm having problems with TSP's website. I am trying to order one of their lids right now.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Botom line!...it all depends on fitment and how well it fits on each car...Funny how MTI lid gives 16+ hp on Nineball's car which I do believe indeed and funny how everybody raves on the TSP lid and how it is designed better and everything to the point that it supposed to net higher HP gains than other competitors......which I believe too....I'm saying this baed on people who have posted in regards to the mentioned lids....but all in all they should all net you the same HP gain of course it depends on the car...alot!...as for all cars are different and will respond different to different lids and all lids should be created equal but they are not!!..Which is obvious with people having different fitment issues on different lids...One would think the fitment should be no problem since all LS1's have the same size filter tray and lid, at least dimensionally....and you would think all lids would be equally created..So I believe that all of them are ABOUT the same and you just have to get lucky on the perfect one for your car....meaning that you have no fitment issues and it nets you a nice HP gain...just my 02 cents!
Old 08-07-2003, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: MTI vs. TSP lid: Which is best *DELETED*

Double Post deleted by WILWAXU
Old 08-07-2003, 09:13 PM
Launching!

I have the MTI clear lid. It looks awesome. Initially fit like crap. It was a serious PIA to get it on. Especially if you have a WS6 lower air box. Because the AIR box is raised the angle of the opening of the lid faces more towards the radiator shrowd (sp). The opening of my LID is touching the radiator shrowd. I'm not sure if TSP has this problem but I know MTI does. I'd go with TSP.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the TSP lid, fits very nicely actually. Compared it to another lid of a friends and was really impressed with it and so was my he.

Just by looking at the lids basically the TSP lid design eliminates stagnant areas.

Old 08-15-2003, 01:00 AM
Teching In

is there any hp difference between these lids and the slp lid? Is it worth swaping the sllp lid for one of these?
Old 08-15-2003, 05:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Didn't the TSP lid dyno 3-4RWHP more than the direct flo?
Old 08-15-2003, 09:16 AM
Launching!

Didn't the TSP lid dyno 3-4RWHP more than the direct flo?

yes....I actually think it was more like 4 to 6rwhp higher....
Old 08-15-2003, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

what's the best place to buy a TSP lid?
Old 08-15-2003, 09:38 AM
TECH Regular

I've gone through a lot of lids: slp, MTI clear & carbon, & now I have the TSP carbon lid. This is what I took from each of them:

slp: plain & ugly but great for nitrous
MTI: both looked great but very brittle, both of mine cracked around the MAF.
TSP: looks great & very well made.

I would recommend the TSP or if you don't want to spent the money the slp lid is the only slp product that's worth anything to me.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:45 AM
Launching!

what's the best place to buy a TSP lid?

www.texas-speed.com

or you can call them: 806-866-0734
ask for Trevor or Brian
Old 08-15-2003, 09:56 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Guys, its just an airbox lid. They all make about the same power, its not like some magical lid exists that creates more hp than possible out of nowhere. The gains from lids are pretty maxed out for how simple they are. This topic has been beat to death for the last 5 years now. Every car will show different gains from a lid. A 427ci car would show HUGE gains, while a weak 280 rwhp car might show less. Its all relative.

And yes, my MTI lid picked up 16 rwhp on back to back dyno runs. Had plenty of witnesses watching there that day to verify it. I was surprised to see the results myself, its been a LONG time since I messed around with such basic mods.

Here is the link: https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...;Number=618379

Tony
Old 08-15-2003, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tony's Quote: "Guys, its just an airbox lid. They all make about the same power, its not like some magical lid exists that creates more hp than possible out of nowhere. The gains from lids are pretty maxed out for how simple they are".

Ditto on what he is saying. I personally have an old Whisper lid and a WS6 raised lower airbox.

I could change to the latest and greatest lid, but I can't see where it will make any difference at all. An aftermarket lid certainly is worth some ponies over the stock intake setup. It's a good first mod. But they all do about the same thing. Subtle differences, but not enough to loose any sleep over.

From a power standpoint: "A lid is a lid".....

Ron,

Old 08-15-2003, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

The best two lids on the market right now are the LS1 Motorsports Direct Flo lid and TSP lid.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:51 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the MTI fake carbon fiber lid on my '99 and have a slight fitment problem. The drivers side edge does not snug down very well and I think MTI could have made it a bit better.

Also, since I recently installed a FTRA, the lid sticks up a little to the point where the bottom of my hood actually touched it and left a bit of paint on the lid. Which I rubbed off, but it still made a chip in the paint on the underside of the hood. I think the lid is sticking up a little further because of the weather stripping I installed on the bottom of the air box while doing the FTRA install. Maybe when that becomes a little more compressed (over time) I will have more clearance.

Just thought I would comment on the fitment issue. I think the guys who are saying "a lid is a lid" are pretty much right. I'll bet the HP differences between them are minimal.