Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open header question with new motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Open header question with new motor

I've got my new forged build in the car and am just waiting on the trans. I've got QTP headers and Borla XR1's that I want to turn into true duals. I have the UMI Tunnel mount TA and have to have the exhaust shop custom fab my duals though. Here's the question. I don't have any pipe to put on the end of each collector, which means the O2's will be seeing a lean condition. I've decided that the way I want to break this thing in (after TONS of research) is to be kinda rough with it for the first start up. During this time the car needs to be driven for about 50 miles up to its first oil change. The rings will need to be seated also during this time, hence the rough driving. This also means that they will not be sealed to the walls initially. I'm afraid that running open headers will dump too much fuel and it will contaminate the oil very quickly being as the rings are not yet seated. Should I be concerned about this or am I just worrying too much?

Should I be okay running it open headers to break it in, or is this a bad idea?

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone know?
Old 05-16-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Man, I figured someone would be able to chime in on this...
Old 05-17-2008, 01:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
Here's the question. I don't have any pipe to put on the end of each collector, which means the O2's will be seeing a lean condition. I've decided that the way I want to break this thing in (after TONS of research) is to be kinda rough with it for the first start up. During this time the car needs to be driven for about 50 miles up to its first oil change. The rings will need to be seated also during this time, hence the rough driving. This also means that they will not be sealed to the walls initially. I'm afraid that running open headers will dump too much fuel and it will contaminate the oil very quickly being as the rings are not yet seated. Should I be concerned about this or am I just worrying too much?

Should I be okay running it open headers to break it in, or is this a bad idea?

Thanks.

I really think its a bad idea to break it with open headers. Any problems / issues will be very hard to hear or notice in case you have some major problems (bearing/knocking/taping/valvetrain issues etc etc)

Also the motor isnt going to run well without extensions on the pipes to keep the o2's reading right. You are much better off just getting it done right before driving it.