Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle problems after porting throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Idle problems after porting throttle body

So i just ported my throttle body, and now i notice that the car wants to idle a bit higher, it just acts like the throttle is being stuck open a little bit. I also notice that the gas pedal is harder to push down.......i really didn't notice and hp gains or throttle response. I didn't cut away too much material or go behind the line i made either......

At first i didnt have an SES light but i'd say about after and hour of cruising it suddenly decided to come on.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:11 AM
TECH Resident

And i almost forgot, the idle while stopped isn't all that high, but it is higher than normal and i have to hold the brake much harder to keep it from moving, the worst part is i can drive like 30mpph and not even touch the gas and it will stay right at 30 or even go a little faster. I see the screw you can adjust, but i didn't touch that so i don't see how that could be the problem.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from what i understand ur computer is re-learning because of the more air gettin in,but im not sure how long that takes.try adjusting the screw to c if it helps.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:40 AM
Launching!

did't you port a lot! because you might have uneven spots around the tb causing even airflow and rpm problems.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

i drove it around for probably 2 hours after i did it and it still does it....i really didnt shave away that much material inside, and i didn't go behind the line i marked. there is still a little ridge on the TB it isn't shaved down that far. What doesn't make sense is why i would have to adjust that button if i didn't even touch it before. And that would just be for the high idle at a stop...i wouldn't think that would explain why my car keeps moving by itself at higher speeds.

keep in mind my SES light came on, like an hour after i started the car and drove around....so i'll take it down to autozone and see what code it throws up, maybe that will help narrow it down.

Last edited by slikrider20; 05-17-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

You didn't put your spring back on correctly if you feel a STICKY gas pedal.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

the pedal is definitely harder to push down, kinda sticky i guess you could say.

But i don't see another way to put that spring on. Looks just like it did when we took it off......
Old 05-17-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

sounds like porting your throttle body was a good idea. No power gains and now you have issues with the car.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by primer84z
sounds like porting your throttle body was a good idea. No power gains and now you have issues with the car.
Yeah what i read there was a noticeable difference, but i didn't really notice anything....and yeah i was just thinking the same thing.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

you more than likely just took off alot of material around the blade area when closed. Normally the stock LS1 throttle body idles with the air let in through the small hole on the throttle blade. If you took off ANY material arund the blade area when closed, you will get alot more air coming through than necessary. You may have to chalk this one up as a learning experience.......

What you could do is weld the small hole closed, and adjust the throttle with the set screw.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it true that you can lose power from a ported tb without a tune, i swear someone told me that...?
Old 05-17-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

check your throttle cables. I remove the cable from mine to make it easier to pull the fuel rail off then after everything was re-installed I had idle issues. I started the car and opened the hood and noticed my blade was not closing completely so I just happened to touch my cables and it closed. I then reved the engine and it didnt close all the way again so I just messed with and moved around the cables to where they were not pulling back . It worked for me and thats been about a month aso. Look at that first! Its worth a shot!
Good Luck
Old 05-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Launching!

check to see if your throttle blade is't hitting the bottom of throttle body, it was down further and wasn't screwed in center. i find mine catching the bottom when i removed it to port mine and made a gap so it wouldn't close correctly.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

I figured out the problem. The step in the tutorial where it tells you to knife edge or whatever the blade, well i did that and ended up taking too much off on one corner of it where some air gets let through. the only way i know for sure this is i duct taped the normal idle hole in the center, and it actually idles just about right now..and the ses light went off. Whats the best way to fill that hole without welding?
Old 05-18-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Glad to see you figured it out.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slikrider20
I figured out the problem. The step in the tutorial where it tells you to knife edge or whatever the blade, well i did that and ended up taking too much off on one corner of it where some air gets let through. the only way i know for sure this is i duct taped the normal idle hole in the center, and it actually idles just about right now..and the ses light went off. Whats the best way to fill that hole without welding?
hey, i have the EXACT same problem so thanks for posting. im going to try the duct tape tonight to get past inspection tomorrow. Did u come up with a more permanent solution?
Old 10-11-2008, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Slikrider20, Hey thanks for posting your fix....I had different symptoms...high idle, 1500 rpms while moving. I tried replacing pcv and tubing, but what really worked was the duck tape over the throttle body blade...!!!
Old 10-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Launching!

i suggest filling the hole w/jb weld and sanding it back smooth. then re drill a progressively larger hole until it idles properly or use the set screw if you can. LS1 inhaling duct tape.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:39 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

is it true that you can lose power from a ported tb without a tune, i swear someone told me that...?
No that is no true. We see 5-8 rwhp all the time without tuning.

Porting your own throttle body is not recommended unless you know exactly what you're doing, when, and where to port. As for the duct tape, unless you guys want that being sucked into your motor I would suggest removing it immediately.

To help with the idle problem try adjusting the idle screw. It's a T-15. If that doesn't help then you've probably taken off too much material behind the blade and there's really nothing that can be done about it. Sounds like a couple of you boys need to put the dremel down and back away
Old 10-12-2008, 01:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Damian
Porting your own throttle body is not recommended... As for the duct tape, unless you guys want that being sucked into your motor I would suggest removing it immediately.

To help with the idle problem try adjusting the idle screw...you've probably taken off too much material behind the blade and there's really nothing that can be done about it. Sounds like a couple of you boys need to put the dremel down and back away
LMFAO

Damian looking foward to sendin mine off the SS within the week.

Quick Reply: Idle problems after porting throttle body