Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust vibrations/banging

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:28 PM
TCW
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust vibrations/banging

I am havign some issues with pacesetter headers/ypipe I installed. When ever accellerating from a stop and more so when turning it will vibrate/bang. Sounds like its hitting the rear left tire but it isnt close at all. I got under the car and couldnt see were it was rubbing/banging anywhere. Also I noticed the shifter vibrates ALOT when it does this. And I had to pry to get the transmission part to line up (2 bolt), tranny crossmember?

Its rubber there so that makes since.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2008, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

look on your driver side about 1 foot back from the header. thats were mine was hiting
Old 05-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

i had to hose-clamp a medium tension spring between the y and floor pan just past where the header and y meet on the driver's side of my wife's SS. had plenty of clearance (around 2.5") but it would still bang when you got on it from a stop.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:48 PM
TCW
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies, I will try using some heater hose as thats all I have for free now and see if that works.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by formula4437
look on your driver side about 1 foot back from the header. thats were mine was hiting
yup! I knew all about from past installs. When i got around to putting Pacesetter headers on my car i got a thick impact socket and hit the frame with a hammer where the pipe would hit made a small smooth dent into the frame and it has never hit and i have the TSP true 3" y-pipe. I didnt want to loose the ground clearince. I have seen someone take a big sledge hammer to that same spot with Kook's headers! He had to so the y-pipe would bolt up. He got a bad set and kook's 1&7/8 header and they wouldn't pay for he shipping to Hawaii withthe new set so he made his fit!
Old 05-19-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Poly motor mounts should take care of it. Shoulda done that with the exhaust off though. No poly on mine either but I lucked out.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:11 PM
TCW
On The Tree

If I do motor mounts I would have to do the rod bolts to and I don't feel like it atm since I did cam along with this last week.