Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Sucker Ram Air scoop for the FTRA

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 01:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Super Sucker Ram Air scoop for the FTRA

As the producer of the SSRA, I have been asked by many FTRA owners if the bottom scoop of the SSRA will fit the FTRA. It doesn't. Many people then asked if I could make one for their FTRA. Well I am now producing a lower scoop for the FTRA. It is similar in design to the SSRA scoop. Instead of being made out of ABS plastic like the SSRA it is made out of aluminum. It is also welded for great strength. It attaches in exactly the same fashion as the lower SSRA scoop. It slides into the FTRA from the bottom and is held in place by five screws into the bottom of the front bumper cover. I don't know yet if it will work on the SLP CAI, since I don't know anybody with one of those set ups. If it is dimensionally the same as the FTRA it should work.
LM Performance will be our initial sponsor. The price is set at $79.
My friend who has the FTRA is taking it to the track on Saturday. He is bringing Autotap to monitor AIT and coolant temps. I should have a report back from him tomorrow night. His screen name is BLKTA.
If someone can post pics, shoot me your email address.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Default Re: Super Sucker Ram Air scoop for the FTRA

I would be interested in buying just your top-half section. If you would market that at a better price than the SLP CAI ($100 or less), I bet you'd turn a lot of sales. For me, your lower-half intake would get crunched by my parking stall curb, so I have been hesitant about buying the whole thing.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:14 PM
10 Second Club

I would be interested in buying just your top-half section. If you would market that at a better price than the SLP CAI ($100 or less), I bet you'd turn a lot of sales. For me, your lower-half intake would get crunched by my parking stall curb, so I have been hesitant about buying the whole thing.
You need the whole thing for best results

I'll let you try mine, then just becareful around crubs after you get yours.

Can't wait to get mine.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:32 PM
10 Second Club

Hi,
Here are some pictures of the new SSRA extension for the FTRA. I've also included some information about the install
and unit itself based on my own observations. I've had the FTRA for awhile and wanted a SSRA when I first saw unit introduced but was hesitant because of ground clearance on a lowered car and the plastic construction itself. This new extension puts those concerns to rest.

Construction
It's made of 1/16" aluminum and is welded together(see pix).
Construction and quality overall is good. Sealing is excellent with no leaks detected around the welds or seams (I tested with a leaf blower with the piece mounted and unmounted).

Installation
Installation is a breeze. It fits perfect into the FTRA upper unit and has 5 holes for sheet metal screws to screw into the bumper itself. No drilling is required; 1/2" phillips screws will work just fine. I couldn't believe how easy it installs and fits into place; simply slide it in (unit will hold it self in place when mounting screws) and put the screws in. Done.

Comments
The only issue I saw was sealing around the lower hood bracket. With the unit mounted there was an open area left exposed. A solution was easy; I cut a piece of carpet insulation (see pix) sliced a slit in the form of a "T" and using spray adhesive glued it to the extension. This sealedd off the entire open area and wrapped around the lowed hood bracket. I reinstalled it and it fit perfect. I did put a small piece of duct tape to prevent the "T" slit from opening. I turned the leaf blower on and checked for leaks. There was none around the glued area, but a very small amount could be felt around the hood bracket.

Lowered cars - My car is lowered 1.5" in the front and I have a fairly steep driveway so I was worried. After backing the car out I had no problems whatsoever. For those interested I did measure the distance from the very bottom edge of the "mouth" to the ground and it was 6-3/4".

Clearance between the extension and the radiator is same as the original SSRA.

HP gains
Unfortunately I can't post any gains. I drove 125 miles to the track, went through the usual ritual is setting the car up, but broke a rear wheel stud off while taking the street tire/wheel off. I moounted the ET streets anyway in hopes of sliding by tech, but they saw it and wouldn't let me run.
Ugh! I knew I should have went to the other track where you practically tech yourself, but didn't want drive the extra miles. Oh well, for sure next week I will post some results by using Autotap and using my mini-weather station.

Here are the pictures.

Front view mounted

Worms eye view looking up at radiator clearance.

Birds eye view looking at sealed area around the lower hood bracket

Pix of the extension unmounted

Old 08-11-2003, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

When will the SSRA Extension be available?
Old 08-11-2003, 03:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Are these pieces ready for shipment NOW? WJ.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, they are available now.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Al, this is a great design. I hope all the teasing prompted you to make this metal unit available for the LS1 comunity. Thank you, and I wish you continued sucess, Victor
Old 08-11-2003, 07:14 PM
Restricted User

Man, Vic you really know how to be nice. Congrats on the release. Now I just gotta get an SSRA.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also take note how this extension is not nearly as close as the bottom ftra plate is to the condenser. This should be less detramental to cooling than the ftra design. Al, I will be calling in the morning!!! Vic
Old 08-11-2003, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Also take note how this extension is not nearly as close as the bottom ftra plate is to the condenser. This should be less detramental to cooling than the ftra design. Al, I will be calling in the morning!!! Vic
Well, thanks for the complement Vic. Yes this is the great benefit. It doesn't block the radiator like the extension that FTRA makes(radiator runs at a cooler temp). Also it's not taking air from around the radiator which is hot(AIT), it gets it's air from in front of the car. I only had four intitially made. I lent one to the guy who took pictures of it in his car. I sent another one today to LM Performance. Leon at LM Performance is going to be checking on the compatibility with the SLP CAI. Has anybody compared the FTRA and the SLP side by side?

Old 08-11-2003, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

Nice work man! I have always liked the idea of the SSRA but I bought the FTRA before I found out about the SSRA and before FTRA had the lower piece. So I didn't feel like buying the SSRA because I already had a ram air part. And I didn't want to block my radiator with the FTRA lower part. Thanks for giving us FTRA guys a new option. I am seriously considering it now.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Looking good Al, let me know when you get back and I'll get mine!!!

Thanks for posting the pic
Old 08-12-2003, 12:21 AM
10 Second Club

I'm be getting mine soon
Old 08-12-2003, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

Damn, I had just spent an hour reinstalling my lower ram air scoop on my FTRA and now this comes out

Nice design and thanks for the extra option, I'll be taking one of those off of your hands in a bit.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:00 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would the SSRA work well with a car that has the MTI lid, K&N filter, and the "free airbox mod (i.e., cutting out the bottom part of the airfilter assembly)?

SDB
Old 08-12-2003, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

Would the SSRA work well with a car that has the MTI lid, K&N filter, and the "free airbox mod (i.e., cutting out the bottom part of the airfilter assembly)?

SDB
Yes it would work great with these mods. With the air lid and SSRA I gained 24rwhp. Oh, by the way, you have to do the free ram air(FRA) mod for the SSRA. This is where the SSRA feeds air into the lid.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Al, sent paypal payment to you, btw, have a great trip!!! Victor
Old 08-13-2003, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.. Has anybody compared the FTRA and the SLP side by side?
And the Whisper... They're close enough you'd think they were made by the same guy...

Quick Reply: Super Sucker Ram Air scoop for the FTRA